Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How much bow is acceptable with cedar siding.

Have 150 16 ft x 8 inch x 1/2inch boards and around 80 20 ft boards. Due to the fact I can't prime these until spring time I have started going through the boards to sort out split ends or other "issue" boards. This is beveled cedar ciding that is fairly knotted and it was factory kiln dried. As I am going through the boards I am finding 1 in 10 that seam bow 1 inch or more over the complete length when set on the 1/2 inch edge. What I am concerned with is if I use a 1 1/4 overlap and the board is already bowed 1inch certain areas would only have 1/4 overlap. As well as the visual affect if any?

Ok what is acceptable so I can return the warped boards now while its still returnable vs next spring when it will be to late.

How much if any of the bow can you take the out when installing?

Please note I spaced all boards and placed them off the ground in the garage as recommended by the manufacturer'. A lot of boards are cupped width wise but I don't see that as being as large of an issue as bowing over the length due to the overlap issue,

Was a past journeyman tool and die maker and still don't quite have the eye for wood tolerances. All I know is I wish wood was as stable, accurate, and controllable as steel.

Any incite on a plus minus tolerance for bowing as we'll as whay can be taken out in the field wouldbe great!

Last edited by vtwingiles; 11-03-2012 at 02:08 PM.
vtwingiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 60

Having a few crowned boards in the Cedar lap siding certainly isn’t uncommon, especially with tight knot. A 1” crown in a 20’ board “usually” can be straightened out on the wall.

I like to run a string line across the entire wall as a reference point. As long as you make sure the measurement from the butt of the siding to the string is the same your in good shape. When straitening a coarse work your way down the wall checking measurement to the string and then nailing the siding to every other stud to get it straight. After that go back and nail off the rest.

If you end up with a few boards you can’t work with either cut them up for small pieces or if your last coarse of siding ends up being a small rip then getting that crown out of a 3” wide piece for example should be no problem.

As far as returning them goes you can always try. If it came from a box store then I’d say no problem. If “I” kept bringing back every piece of Cedar lap with a crown in it to “my” supplier I’m sure I’d hear some grief but taking back a few bad boards at the end of a job because I just couldn’t make them work anywhere would be no problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
vtwingiles (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Appreciate the feedback and really like the "why didn't I think of that" nailing every other stud or so to ease the bow out. I did get these at a box store and second guessed many weeks on the quality. Posted a few times on here about the quality of Mary's river siding. Ended up due to the fact it went on sale and I took the plunge. Now I'm second guessing again and it's not so easy to know what is acceptable when its your first rodeo with the material and the job itself. Thank you again.

Next question is on the larger knots although they are tight a lot have a cross like split. For me it looks like the split would be fine once primed and painted. Not going to stain. The splits look to be anywhere from 15 to 25 thousandths wide and go all the way through. Is it ok to assume the prime and paint will fill these or is there another veteran solution for this?
vtwingiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 108

When trying to get the bow out start in the middle and work your way to the ends or you end up with waves.
If you bought the cheaper siding with exposed knots your going to have to use a sealing primer.
I'd try and set aside the pieces with splits to cut up for shorter sections and cut out the split areas. If not your going to have to caulk them so water does not get in.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwingiles View Post
Next question is on the larger knots although they are tight a lot have a cross like split. For me it looks like the split would be fine once primed and painted. Not going to stain. The splits look to be anywhere from 15 to 25 thousandths wide and go all the way through. Is it ok to assume the prime and paint will fill these or is there another veteran solution for this?
You may have to fill some of the knot splits, it will become obvious which knots need some extra attention after you prime.

One thing that is crucial when painting Cedar is to use a "oil based" stain blocking primer. Otherwise the tannins in the Cedar will bleed through the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
When trying to get the bow out start in the middle and work your way to the ends or you end up with waves.
Not quite sure I'm following you on that one...

Last edited by kwikfishron; 11-04-2012 at 07:09 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

is the crown generally going up toward the thin part of the siding or crowned down toward the thick part? if crowned up nail one end first and then the middle following a straight chalk line and then pull up the last end and nail it. If crowned down then nail the ends first and push the middle up to the line and nail it. pre drill for the nails at the ends of the pieces so as not to crack the siding more than it already is, cheap cedar siding ends up with lots of waste at the end of the job because of cracked and unusable pieces near the ends of the boards...

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote