Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to mount fixtures on outside wall?

Happy Labor Day,

I don't get to work on older houses very often, but I have to help out a relative in Southern California.

I want to mount an electrical panel and some conduit on an outside wall of my Aunt's house. The house was build perhaps 85 years ago. The outside finish looks a little like stucco, but it is smoother and much harder. Could it be a concrete surface finish?

I don't know what the outside surface depth is. The inside of the wall is wood studs (back when 2 x 4's were really 2" by 4", with lathe and plaster on the inside surface. I want to use unistrut for mounting the panel and some of the larger conduit; perhaps a different style of mounting for anchoring the smaller conduit.

I am thinking I should anchor into studs. Maybe I can use a stud finder to map out stud lines on the outside.

There has been no outside maintenance for perhaps 15 years. I wonder if these walls become porous to rain if not painted periodically.

Can anyone tell me how residential house walls were build around the 1920's? And what best practices would be for mounting on these walls and weather-proofing them?

Thank much,
Daneel

Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0

How to mount fixtures on outside wall?

Your plan to find the studs is a good one. But, you will probably need to drill the stucco, concrete or whatever you have with a masonry bit before drilling with a wood bit into the studs.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote