Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #1

Share |

How to measure setbacks

Hello; I am building a garage in Los Angeles City. They told me to have a set back from the side property line and the back-lot property line.
The five- feet set back is measured from the inside portion of the wall
( not the center line of the wall) to the outside wall of the garage ?
Or... is it measured from the property line to the edge of the foundation ?
If the foundation is 16" wide and 16" deep, then it would mean that the measurement would be 8" away from the wall and toward the property line. Or... Is it measured from the property line to the roof overhang ?
Which means it is 12" from the wall and toward the property line.

When I start digging the foundation, where do I start ? Exactly five feet from the property line? or five feet less 8 inches ?
Thanks

Gabriel8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

How to measure setbacks

Its easy for me to tell you what I think...three thousand miles away....so I can only tell you about the setback allowances here, and assume they are a universal guideline.

A setback is measured from the property line to the foundation of the structure in question

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

How to measure setbacks

Going to have to go back and ask.
It's the same where I live as Creepers, but that does not matter, it's what your local area says.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

How to measure setbacks

For my neighborhood, the setback is from the fence line that runs down the property line, to the outside wall of the garage. Of course, some properties, which now the new owners are fighting the next door neighbor, that has lived there for over 20 years, are trying to gain back their 2-5 feet that the old neighbor took over.

Basically go to your local AHJ (ie City hall or building planning office), or go to their website and all the info should be there. Also depending on their records online for taxing purposes, they may already have a image of the property, showing easements and setbacks, so may want to go to LA's website that you can find that info at, to see if anything is available there, since they will not open again until Monday morning, if they are not doing what they were doing three years ago, with the cutbacks, by running limited hours, and you had to almost throw a dart on a dartboard to find out if the office was open or not.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

How to measure setbacks

It might measure to the edge of the roof(the part of the building closest to the property line). Best to go and ask the planning department of your city.
concretemasonry (07-27-2013), rjniles (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #6

How to measure setbacks

In my neighborhood it is to any overhang or other projection greater than 12".
concretemasonry (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

How to measure setbacks

In California, you measure from the property line to the exterior face of your wall.
You may encroach into the set back up to 2' with the roof line but the area of the roof that encroaches must be of 1 hour fire rated construction.

Most places will allow even the walls to encroach but they will need to be 1 hr. fire rated construction also.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (07-27-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

How to measure setbacks

Around here it's "10 feet from the property line to a vertical line intersecting the nearest permanent portion of the structure." Underground usable space may not pass the same vertical line. No underground utility, pipe, wire, duct or accessory part of the structure may cross over the property line.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote