How Many Inches Below Vents On A Raised Foundation Does The Grade Need To Be? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

How many inches below vents on a raised foundation does the grade need to be?

I am doing some repair work on my house and replacing some of the vents on a raised foundation. I was told that the grade/dirt should be at least 6 inches below the new vent.The top of the concrete patio in the picture runs right into the middle of the new vent so it is currently not even below the vent as far as the grade is concerned. It was like this when I bought the house back in 1986. It appears someone poured a concrete patio and never graded the yard.
Can someone let me know how far below that vent the grade should be.The patio is cracked everywhere so I am going to remove it,then take out some dirt to lower the grade and put something back in the yard to replace the concrete. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How many inches below vents on a raised foundation does the grade need to be?-house-floor-plans-065.jpg   How many inches below vents on a raised foundation does the grade need to be?-house-floor-plans-066.jpg  

Advertisement

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

code does not address air vents, but it does address wood. you are suppose to be at least 6" below any wood unless it is preservative treated or naturally weather durable.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Pawl (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Pawl ,

You should contact your local building safety dept. . Being in California , I'm sure they have an opinion on this . Building officials are usually very helpful .

Good luck ,

Az.
Az Framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

I don't know of a vent rule either.... 6" to dirt... 2" to concrete sloped away at I can't remember the degrees for wood clearences

I guess whatever is not likely to splash or backflow under your raised foundation,,, I think your AHJ would be resonabe..
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I think you have a real problem there.

The grade seems to be above the sole plate. That is the plate that the floor joists land on and is on top of the masonry stem wall.

Andy.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

It looks like you have a patio or concrete path that was poured after the fact. The code is 6" to natural grade, 2" to concrete.

The standard has also changed on how stucco is done. Yours was done the old way where the stucco was done all the way down to the grade. Now, you stop the stucco at the bottom plate and terminate it with weep screed.

Does code apply to you? Well...what you have is what you have...

But....unless I'm totally off the mark, you do not want to use those vents....I don't see the stucco working very well with those....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks for everyones input. Those vents are the same exact vent I just took off my house except mine is deteriorated. Like I said in the original post I am going to remove the concrete patio because it was completely cracked when I bought the house in 1986 and I am tired of looking at it.
The concrete slab measures 3" so once its gone I can start grading it down some more. My house is completely dry underneath in the crawl space. I have recently crawled around under my house.
I have rain gutters around my whole house that empty all the rain water onto the front driveway and it flows to the street gutters. I am at the high end of my tract so everything flows away from my home to the storm drains.
I am going to use weep screed in this backyard area in the pictures I posted. Thanks again.

Advertisement

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote