How Many Flues Do I Need? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How many flues do I need?

I am building a new house with a wood stove in the basement and a fireplace on the main floor. These units will sit directly on top of each other. Do I need a flue for each one? Can I use one flue with a series of dampers? I would appreciate any guidance.
Thanks!

Advertisement

Krystee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

You will need one dedicated flue for the basement wood stove, running from basement floor to above roofline.

If the fireplace is going to be full masonry (not an insert running B vent, triple wall, etc..), that will also require it's own dedicated flue also.

No way to tie the 2 together, & it wouldn't be saving you much anyway, as flues are the cheapest part of the chimney/fireplace assembly.

Advertisement

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

What is the best type of firebox to use, masonry?
Krystee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

That's a fairly subjective question to answer, & depends on a few factors, money being the major one. As a mason, I'm obviously going to say a full masonry fireplace is the best. It's just not always the most realistic. If you're dead set on running a chimney up from the basement for a wood stove anyways, it might make sense to do a full masonry FP. Check out rumford dot com to see what I'm talking about.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote