How Many Floor Joists Can Be Sistered In A Row - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How many floor joists can be sistered in a row

Just curious if anyone knows the best way to proceed on this: I have a new house in which our morning room was sagging more than a 1/4 of a inch. The builder came in and tried to level it from the bottom up by sistering a couple of beams. The 2"x10"'s had cupped and some had split. this did not fix the problem. An engineer came in and had the builder cut through the sistered beams and re-sister new ones on. I have a 14"x10" space that now has 2 good beams, three sistered beams (three of them tied to each other) one that is has a new beam sistered on to it, and three more that have been cut and a new one sistered on it. so basically from outside wall to metal beam I have only one beam in the middle that is end to end not cut. How many sistered joists can you have in a row?

Advertisement

dphess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

You talk about beams and joists, but I think you are referring only to joists?

If the engineer said its ok, and signed off on it, it is likely going to be ok. No limit on the number of sistered joists. In fact, in my kitchen remodel, I sistered every single joist with a new 2x10.

Advertisement

patented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 168

there is a limit to how many you can sister to it if they arent properly bearing. \

how long is the span of the joists.. its possible that the framers just didnt properly crown the joists.. its pretty common to see this with floors framed with conventional lumber
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The joists are 10" long. Doesn't look like they were crowned. Had engineer back for same thing happening in the dinette area which is connected to morning room. I am thinking that they are going to pull up all the joists and redo the whole thing since the carpenters that fixed the last problem didn't bother to make the blocks (in between the sistered joists) square. You can see day light through the top, plus with more than 80% of the joists underneath the morning room sistered and some are three 2"x10" thick, its a complete mess.
dphess1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor joists , new home , sisterering