How Many Exits A "room" Need - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

how many exits a "room" need

i am remodeling my place. I have two interior rooms. I am planning on giving each interior room one interior window (looking into the family room). Is there any code saying interior rooms have to have windows? if so, Is there any code about what kind of windows interior rooms need? (height?size? openable mechanically? or can be plain piece of glass?)

Thanks

Advertisement

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Easiest thing to do to find out is to go down to the down with a sketch of the floor plan of your place, tell them you're the homeowner and you want to do this yourself, explain to them what you want to do, and ask them what the requirements are. I have a copy of the code book, but I also know that there are local adoptions for different things, plus another entirely different code (NJ Rehabilitation Code).

The people down at the town will know the answer to your question. At least the should.

Advertisement

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

i kinda want a general idea for now. the city will give me an appointment in 2 weeks... i don't think i can wait that long
hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohadcr View Post
i kinda want a general idea for now. the city will give me an appointment in 2 weeks... i don't think i can wait that long
Generally building codes require windows in a room to be a percentage of the rooms sq ft size. If a room is 200 sq ft, the windows might need to be 15% or 35 sq ft.
Find out what the local building code is and use that. You should be able to get that info over the phone or on the counties web site.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

depending on what the room is for, it may not need any means of egress other than the door you walk through to get into it. I suppose, you could even have a room with no means of ingress/egress but it would be very useful though.

Bedrooms are typically the type of room that requires a secondary means of egress. Generally the requirements are quite specific so you would be best served by actually speaking with the building department about the situation.

Quote:
the city will give me an appointment in 2 weeks... i don't think i can wait that long
Well, if you can't wait that long, be ready to redo what ever is required. Since they have final say so, what we tell you here, if it does not match what they require, is meaningless.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote