DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to make/where to get a bookshelf wall divider?

6K views 32 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
So NYC passed some ridiculous regulation that's keeping us from building a regular wall, instead we have to use bookshelves to split the room. So what i need is to build/purchase a bookshelf that's 8 feet high and 12-10 long and it can't be see through. I also need to put a door in it somehow. Something similar to what you see in the pic below:
http://nightclubwiz.com/uploads/divider.jpg

any advice on cost and where i can get this done?

#4 ·
you would have to measure the room from floor to ceiling and look at their site. Otherwise, you can have someone build a unit, but it may involve building a frame to hold, or use a base cabinet, and a cabinet as the open frame, then a upper. Is this a rental unit?

#5 ·
i can't imagine they sell cabinets within an inch of every room size and more importantly ones that are 8 feet high? i don't mind having someone custom build it i think i will have to do that anyway in order to get a door in it but i would like to keep the entire job within a $1,000.
what do you mean by base cabinets and upper?
basically i want to build a wall but it can't be an actual wall, it has to still look like furniture or whatnot
yes it's a rental.

#11 ·
So NYC passed some ridiculous regulation that's keeping us from building a regular wall, instead we have to use bookshelves to split the room. So what i need is to build/purchase a bookshelf that's 8 feet high and 12-10 long and it can't be see through. I also need to put a door in it somehow. Something similar to what you see in the pic below:
http://nightclubwiz.com/uploads/divider.jpg

any advice on cost and where i can get this done?
You will need to find a custom cabinet maker.

#17 ·
You can not just put weight plates on the bottom, or set a couch against it. Book cases just like file cabinets have been known to fall over. When you go to a library, the taller shelves are anchored together & anchored in the floor, just like in a warehouse with their "speed racks".

Because you are wanting a floor to ceiling divider as a book shelf, it at that point becomes a wall, so would have to fall under those rules, and has to be made to not be able to fall or be moved. But do what you want, no one is stopping you from setting them up how you want to. Just warn people when they come over to visit not to lean against them.

#18 ·
You can not just put weight plates on the bottom, or set a couch against it. Book cases just like file cabinets have been known to fall over. When you go to a library, the taller shelves are anchored together & anchored in the floor, just like in a warehouse with their "speed racks".

Because you are wanting a floor to ceiling divider as a book shelf, it at that point becomes a wall, so would have to fall under those rules, and has to be made to not be able to fall or be moved. But do what you want, no one is stopping you from setting them up how you want to. Just warn people when they come over to visit not to lean against them.
ok gotcha. well how easily do they tip over, would someone have to run into it or will leaning on it do the trick?

do you think something like this would tip http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29894693 ?

#20 ·
If you unitize the individual pieces across the top with 2 boards, one front ant 1 back, it should stay stable. Unless you host a Sumo wrestling party that gets out of hand.

#24 ·
If you were going to buid a wall, then I don't see how a ceiling to floor bookshelf is any more difficult.

Why does it need doors? Just put a sheet of 1/8" Luan on the back...paint or stain any color you want.....

Not a difficult job. Keep it simple and I would think a cabinet maker could knock one out for just a few hundred $$$...depending on the wood you were going to use.

#25 ·
If you were going to buid a wall, then I don't see how a ceiling to floor bookshelf is any more difficult.

Why does it need doors? Just put a sheet of 1/8" Luan on the back...paint or stain any color you want.....

Not a difficult job. Keep it simple and I would think a cabinet maker could knock one out for just a few hundred $$$...depending on the wood you were going to use.
I'd like to see you get an 8 foot high by 10feet+ bookcase made by a shop for a few hundred dollars. Material alone would cost that.
He needs the door, because he's using the divider as a way to make a room like structure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.