How To Make A Speed Bump? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to make a speed bump?

Hi there,

I've recently had an automatic garage door installed. It is above a driveway that is made of crushed limestone. There is a gap of about 15cm between the bottom of the garage door and the drive way when the garage door is lowered. I have been advised that I need to put something in place to support the garage door when it is in the lowered position.

Short term solution is to put a couple of bricks under the door. Long term solution will be to finish the drive way off, e.g. brick paving or concrete which will bring the drive way up to the level of the door. As I may be doing some landscaping I don't necessarily want to go with the long-term solution at the moment.

My question then is whether anyone has any suggestions for a solution to this in the meantime?

My initial thoughts were to make a sort of 'speed bump' under the garage door from concrete. However I get the impression that this may not be easy as it would need some sort of foundation / footing to prevent it from moving / cracking. I'm also not sure what would be a sensible way to construct an even sort of 'speed bump'.

You can probably guess that my experience is minimal!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

Grizzlyscotsman

Advertisement

Grizzlyscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,250

There should already be a footing/foundation there. Dig down a few inches and it should be there. Is your garage floor crushed limestone too? If so just use crushed limestone to bring the floor up to the door or else lower the door to the limestone. If it's concrete I'd extend the concrete under the door where it should have been (excavate down to the foundation so the new concrete sits on it, wouldn't hurt to epoxy some rebar into the edge of the existing slab so it extends into the new apron). Slope the new apron slightly to drain outside. When you finish the driveway make sure it is about 3/4" lower than the garage slab and slopes away from the garage so that water won't drain into the garage.

Advertisement

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
There should already be a footing/foundation there. Dig down a few inches and it should be there. Is your garage floor crushed limestone too? If so just use crushed limestone to bring the floor up to the door or else lower the door to the limestone. If it's concrete I'd extend the concrete under the door where it should have been (excavate down to the foundation so the new concrete sits on it, wouldn't hurt to epoxy some rebar into the edge of the existing slab so it extends into the new apron). Slope the new apron slightly to drain outside. When you finish the driveway make sure it is about 3/4" lower than the garage slab and slopes away from the garage so that water won't drain into the garage.
You might want to consider installing a French (trench) Drain all the way across the door opening... level with the garage floor. At best, you will hate yourself for leaving a continually aggravating 3/4" drop off, and at worst, you could be sued as a local builder here was, for leaving a trip hazard like that. A lady caught her foot on that 3/4" lip, tripped, and fell into the garage... big stink!

The drain will take care of all water and snow melt.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-14-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,010

Someone poured your concrete (required garage slab in the U.S.) too short of reaching the garage door. OR.....The door is adjustable to close completely. It is in the owners manual, read it. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,250

I guess I didn't say what I wanted to say. LOL. Yes, no 3/4 trip edge. I meant the apron needs to slope down from the garage floor height to the driveway height and that there should be at least a 3/4" difference between the two but the slope of the apron would be between the two so no trip edge.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Here's a very over-exagerated example of how we usually do garage entry slopes. The door actually touches down on the sloped part at a level that is lower than the main part of the garage floor slab.

This view is from the outside, looking inward.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make a speed bump?-garage-door-slope.jpg  

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driveway , garage door , limestone