Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

Share |

how to make a cylindrical box out of mesh

I'm looking to make a cylindrical enclosure out of mesh.

it will consist of 3 pieces -The mesh made of 304SS , 2 solid disk made of 304SS

>The top and bottom will be made of a solid SS round disk of about 30cm in diameter.

>The cylinder body itself will be made of mesh, the mesh will go all around the cylinder.

>the at the top portion of the box, the mesh will be affixed (welded maybe?) to the top solid disk, but it will be sitting free on the bottom disk so it can be opened as needed. (the mesh will be screwed on the bottom plate)

Here's my question, I know what the cylindrical box will look like, but I don't know how to make the joints, should I bend the mesh on top of the disk then weld it ? should I weld it straight like a 90degree angle on to the top disk ?
should I screw the mesh to the bottom plate? from the top side or the bottom side?
I appreciate the help

anorphirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

Confusing, how can it be a cylindrical box?
What is this thing going to be for? Just trying to picture in in my mind what it is your trying to do.

One way is to use a rolled seam. You just bend the mesh back the mesh 180 deg. on both ends and lock them buy using a mallet over a mandrel.
Picture cupping your hands and locking your fingers together.
It can also be spot welded.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #3

It is very difficult to weld wire to a plate, as having enough heat to melt the plate will vaporize the wire. Tack welding w/ a mig gun may work, but it won't be easy (unless you have very heavy gauge wire, which you won't be bending by hand). Can you bend the wire over the plate, then clamp the wire between the plate and a ring of SS (or small bolts/nuts and washers periodically)? If the plate is thick enough you can tap into it and not need nuts. BTW: Why not just call this thing what it is: a cylinder?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote