DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

how to make 45 degree frame in my basement

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
I am trying to finish my basement and I want to make a 45 degree angle wall for my bathroom that match with upstairs also, save some space. Could you please tell me how to make 45 degree angle frame in my basement? Pictures or diagrams would be much appreciate, because I am a visual person. Thanks in advance for your helps.

#3 ·
Remember your math class on angles? Remember, on a 45 deg triangle, 2 sides are the same length.......

Say you want to cut the end of a 4x8 sheet of plywood as a 45 deg triangle....measure 4' along the side....draw a line from that point to the oposite corner.....exactly 45 deg.

That help?

Or go down to HD and buy an expensive elctronic angle indicator.

#5 ·
A square plus B square equals C square.
That's a 90, but you can do that and cut it in half.

Anyway, I was thinking that the OP may be asking about framing, rather than layout. You can just cut your plates at 45's, which may be all that is necessary, depending on what you are sheathing the walls with, or, if your want it solid, rip a filler stud at 45 with your circular saw or table saw.

#6 ·
DexterII said:
That's a 90, but you can do that and cut it in half.

Anyway, I was thinking that the OP may be asking about framing, rather than layout. You can just cut your plates at 45's, which may be all that is necessary, depending on what you are sheathing the walls with, or, if your want it solid, rip a filler stud at 45 with your circular saw or table saw.
Oh. Yeah, that makes sense. Duh.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

#7 ·
Very funny, guys.

Don't cut the plates at 22.5 degrees, cut one plate with 45 degree angles on each end and have the other two plates butt to it. The two plates with the square ends will get a stud at the end, like normal, and the plate with the 45s will get a stud at each end right before the angle cut.

When the walls are up, each angle will have two corners: an inside corner and an outside corner. The inside corner will have two studs kissing each other on the edges, which you can nail together and drywall easily. For the outside corners, rip a stud with a 45d angle with your skilsaw, and nail it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.