DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   How to lower basement ceiling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/how-lower-basement-ceiling-96928/)

salman_z8 03-01-2011 11:11 AM

How to lower basement ceiling
 
Hi, i am in the middle of my basement finishing project. The basement ceiling is split into two by a beam. On one side of the beam, the ceiling is clean .. no plumbing or wires, just install furring strips and good to drywall. But on the other side i have pipes running perpendicular to the joists, and the lowest hanging point is about 3.5" below the joist. How do i go about lowering the ceiling to have a clean uniform look ? And also the builder ran wires underneath the joists right where the joist go over the beam so building soffits isn't really an option .. Any help will be appreciated.
PS i want to drywall afterwards.

Wildie 03-01-2011 06:47 PM

How high are the ceiling joists above the floor. Some codes require a minimum height!

salman_z8 03-02-2011 08:43 AM

Ceiling joists are about 8' above the concrete basement floor. Its a townhouse basement so it doesn't have any windows, and i am only developing to put in an extra bathroom and make the rest a media room .. so minimum height shouldn't be a problem i think. Thanks.

Wildie 03-02-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salman_z8 (Post 600952)
Ceiling joists are about 8' above the concrete basement floor. Its a townhouse basement so it doesn't have any windows, and i am only developing to put in an extra bathroom and make the rest a media room .. so minimum height shouldn't be a problem i think. Thanks.

Here, the minumum is 7'6".

You bathroom project requires a permit. So, you should try to conform to ALL code aspects.
Its a nuicance, but you will sleep better knowing that your insurance company isn't going to wriggle out of a claim. citing code difficiencies.

salman_z8 03-02-2011 09:38 AM

O' yea i know, and i am going to be pulling a permit .. in fact i have all the papers sitting with me just have been lazy to go to the city hall. Till now i have only framed the perimeter concrete walls (as they were gona be framed regardless of the bathroom). So, any ideas how i can tackle those pipes running under the joists ?

epson 03-02-2011 09:55 AM

To make it easier on yourself you should put in a drop ceiling. If you intend to drywall you will have to understand that in the future if you need to remove, do re-pairs or anything else with your wiring and piping you will have to re-move your drywall to do what you need. If you do a drop ceiling all you have to do is re-move the panels and your good to go. Just a thought…

salman_z8 03-02-2011 10:07 AM

True, and i do agree that it would make more sense.
Hmmm, how much of a price difference would i be looking at .. drop ceiling vs drywall ? and how would i go about insulating/sound proofing the ceiling in the case i do decide to go with drop ceiling ? Also if someone is walking on the floor upstairs, wouldn't it vibrate ?
These might sound silly questions, but i have no idea .. :) thanks

salman_z8 03-02-2011 10:09 AM

And for some reason i like the cleaner look of drywall, the drop ceiling just looks very .. commercial, officy if you may .

epson 03-02-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salman_z8 (Post 601011)
True, and i do agree that it would make more sense.
Hmmm, how much of a price difference would i be looking at .. drop ceiling vs drywall ? and how would i go about insulating/sound proofing the ceiling in the case i do decide to go with drop ceiling ? Also if someone is walking on the floor upstairs, wouldn't it vibrate ?
These might sound silly questions, but i have no idea .. :) thanks

The price difference you would have to get a quote for that. As per the labor, it is more cost effective to just remove the panels then to remove the drywall, re-install drywall, tape, prime, paint etc. As for insulating/sound proofing you have options which you can look into. As to your floor vibrating, if it was installed correctly you shouldn’t have any issues with vibration and affecting the drop ceiling.

epson 03-02-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salman_z8 (Post 601012)
And for some reason i like the cleaner look of drywall, the drop ceiling just looks very .. commercial, officy if you may .

I also like the finish of drywall but as a home owner who has done it and then had to remove it because of issues with plumbing, duct work replacement, etc. :whistling2:I was tired of ripping out the drywall and then re-installing it again and again…:mad: it came to a point that I just put in the drop ceiling and now all I have to do is remove the paneled area that needs to be looked at. Like I said just a thought.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved