Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

How to Lower Basement Bathroom Ceiling

I am finishing my basement and have framed in the bathroom. I have a question about the ceiling. I have a pipe running across the length of ceiling in the new bathroom. The pipe is from the sump pump, taking it to the outside. The pipe hangs approximately 4.5 inches below the floor joists and about a foot away from the new wall.

I could build a soffit to enclose the pipe but would prefer a clean looking ceiling in this instance. The bathroom is 5' x 8' and the pipe runs along the 8' length. The joists run perpendicular to the pipe. The floor joists are 9' tall so height is not a concern.

I have some 2x6's that went unused in the framing part of the project. My idea was to attach some verticle 2x4's to the joists and then then attach the 2x6's therefore just extending the floor joists lower.

Is this a reasonable solution to maintain a clean ceiling rather than just boxing in the pipe? Or is there something wrong with this idea that I have not thought of?

JDC4NU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

What about a drop ceilin? Clean look and access to the pipe just in case.

kboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC4NU View Post
I am finishing my basement and have framed in the bathroom. I have a question about the ceiling. I have a pipe running across the length of ceiling in the new bathroom. The pipe is from the sump pump, taking it to the outside. The pipe hangs approximately 4.5 inches below the floor joists and about a foot away from the new wall.

I could build a soffit to enclose the pipe but would prefer a clean looking ceiling in this instance. The bathroom is 5' x 8' and the pipe runs along the 8' length. The joists run perpendicular to the pipe. The floor joists are 9' tall so height is not a concern.

I have some 2x6's that went unused in the framing part of the project. My idea was to attach some verticle 2x4's to the joists and then then attach the 2x6's therefore just extending the floor joists lower.

Is this a reasonable solution to maintain a clean ceiling rather than just boxing in the pipe? Or is there something wrong with this idea that I have not thought of?
You could use the 2X6`s to form a ledger board around the perimeter (at the 8 foot level) and then install 2X6 ceiling joists between the ledgers.
Then install drywall in the usual manner,
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

You could reroute that pipe outside the bath maybe and enclose in a sofit.

A drop ceiling and a bath probably not a good idea ( moisture ).
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote