Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How long does new brick mortar have to dry before cutting for roof counterflashing?

I am replacing some spalled bricks and tuck pointing all the brick joints to just below the roofline. When I ground out the old mortar with a 1/4" segmented diamond blade it took some effort and time. The mortar was hard as a rock.

When I replaced bricks I overfilled the joints but didn't strike/finish them. I figured my last step would be to grind them out the same depth and tuck point all the bricks and lock everything together.

My concern is that the diamond blade eats through the new mortar like butter. Should it be so soft? I'm talking about joints that were 2-7 days old. Should I wait longer before cutting a slot for the counter flashing? Being mid November I'm sure isn't helping.

mjzraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #2

How long does new brick mortar have to dry before cutting for roof counterflashing?

Im in Maryland just south of Baltimore. The next couple of days are forecast to be highs in the 60's and lows in the low 50's getting colder by weeks end but generally in the 50's and 40's with I think Friday night being the lowest at 35, then lows in the 40's after that.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjzraz View Post
I am replacing some spalled bricks and tuck pointing all the brick joints to just below the roofline. When I ground out the old mortar with a 1/4" segmented diamond blade it took some effort and time. The mortar was hard as a rock.

When I replaced bricks I overfilled the joints but didn't strike/finish them. I figured my last step would be to grind them out the same depth and tuck point all the bricks and lock everything together.

My concern is that the diamond blade eats through the new mortar like butter. Should it be so soft? I'm talking about joints that were 2-7 days old. Should I wait longer before cutting a slot for the counter flashing? Being mid November I'm sure isn't helping.
Why don't you install the flashing before you point the bricks?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519
Why don't you install the flashing before you point the bricks?
I guess I never thought of that. The only reason I have to not do that is I am replacing the roof sheathing and shingles and I was waiting for the chimney work to be done first. At least that was my plan. The more I read about repointing in cold weather the more I am thinking of tar ping off the chimney for the winter as much as that sucks to not finish it, I would rather have a good quality result.

I suppose I could point all the bricks except where I am putting the flashing and point them when the flashing goes in.

Last edited by mjzraz; 11-13-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: additional info