Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #1

Share |

How long can I store pressure-treated wood before using?

I'm building a deck, solo, in my spare time and am wondering if I can order the whole boatload of pressure treated framing lumber in one shot (need to have it delivered) and store it in my garage and use it as I have time available over the winter. If it matters, we're talking about maybe 35 16ft 2x10s, 20 12ft 2x12's along with a dozen 4x4x8' posts.

Any concerns about warping or dimensional changes? The garage is unheated.

Thanks.

DaveNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

You can store it indefinitely in a dry garage, no problems. The wood will move as the moisture content varies, but it will do that when you install it anyway, so as long as your connections are good, there should be no problem constructing the deck.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #3

I just put up 600 plus feet of treated dog ear fence. I jammed the verticals tigh against each other. Three weeks laterm, there was a 3/16ths gap between each one. On a deck I don't see how it would matter. I built a deck last year and did the same thing there. A couple months later I had 1/4 inch gaps between the deck boards. But that was good because water can pass thru the air can get between the boards as well. Minimize things clogging up the gaps causing problems later.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Home Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
I'm building a deck, solo, in my spare time and am wondering if I can order the whole boatload of pressure treated framing lumber in one shot (need to have it delivered) and store it in my garage and use it as I have time available over the winter. If it matters, we're talking about maybe 35 16ft 2x10s, 20 12ft 2x12's along with a dozen 4x4x8' posts.

Any concerns about warping or dimensional changes? The garage is unheated.

Thanks.
It would be fine to store, but best if you could leave some spacing between boards.
Lazy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

The amount of moisture in PT lumber (and even white wood) can cause it to warp as it dries, in my experience, if not used pretty quickly once you break the bands they use for delivery. I had my lumber banded separately (posts, framing, decking,etc.) then they banded everything together and dropped the "package". I broke the bands as I needed the material (just covered it with a tarp where they dropped it in the yard) and it stayed relatively straight. I built my deck solo and it took about 5-6 week of evening/weekends.......
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Keep the sun off of it as much as possible until you're ready to use it too.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Remodeler

The key is to keep the moisture in the treated lumber as long as possible. You are storing pretty large dimensional lumber, so it should hold the moisture for a while. Cover it with plastic or a tarp. It's always best to use it as soon as possible tho.

Your concerns of warping? If they dry out, I would give them a 70% chance of warping some. Especially if there yellow pine.

Hope this helps.

fulline is offline   Reply With Quote