Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to insulate under a shed floor

How do I insulate under a shed floor? We are getting a 16' x 24' HD Tuff Shed. It is going to be all mine. Ok, I have to share it with the lawnmower, but not the kids or DH. I want to be able to heat the space later if I so choose. They construct these things in a day. So I need to have my ducks in a row. What is the best way to insulate under it?

We wanted to build a second garage for my DH to work on cars and I would get the old one to woodwork but the cost changed that plan.

6n165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Is it going on a poured slab? If so, isolate the slab with foam underneath.

If the floor is wood-framed, I'd suggest either insulating the joist bays with fiberglass and then covering (underneath) with OSB. If the construction schedule doesn't allow for this, I'd put 1.5" of rigid foam on TOP of the floor after construction, with 2x3 sleepers (on their side) every 16", and then cover with 3/4" plywood or OSB.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

No slab and i am not sure the guys would appreciate me stopping their progress to insulate under the floor so i will go with the foam and plywood. Does it really need to be 1 1/2 inches thick. Where do you get foam that thick?
6n165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

rigid foam is r5 per inch of thickness. It's available at any building supply yard, or even home depot. I suggested 1.5 inches because that's a pretty decent r-value, and it just happens to be the thickness of a 2x3 or 2x4 laid on it's side.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote