Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #1

Share |

How to insulate/frame this basement?

Im getting ready to finish part of my basement, which is insulated as in the pictures. It appears to use a 1x1 nailed horizontally at the top, middle and bottom of the concrete walls. The insulation is then stapled to the 1x. the insulation "puffs" out probably a good 4 inches or so in the non supported areas. (see pics)

I cant decide if I should/can utilize the existing insulation, if I need to remove it and use conventional batt insulation between the studs, or if I should modify the existing insulation to fit between the studs. Id like to use the existing stuff, as it appears pretty thick, and if I had solid sheets like I do now (rather than strips between each stud) it seems like it would do a better job of insulating. I dont know what the proper way to do it with this type of insulation is. Is it designed to only be used on an UN finished basement? Or can it also be used when finishing? If I DO try to use the exisiting with no modifications, it seems like its gonna be a REAL tight fit to get the new walls to compress the insulation enough. (see last pic, Im holding a stud up against the wall trying to compress the insulation)

How would vapor barriers fit into this scenario? Is the foil a barrier? Wouldnt the barrier need to be between the concrete and the insulation?

Ive checked with a few people locally if they had any insight, but no one who appears to have a lot more knowledge than I.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo9.jpg   How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo8.jpg   How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo7.jpg   How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo6.jpg   How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo5.jpg  

How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo4.jpg  

idodishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #2

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo3.jpg   How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo2.jpg   How to insulate/frame this basement?-photo1.jpg  

Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

A below grade concrete foundation wall will transfer moisture from the soil into the basement. With this insulation the moisture is blocked by the vapor barrier (not used for a basement wall) and the insulation with deteriorate to a point of failure and fill with mold. Remove it. Read up on basement walls. Any product that can be damaged with moisture will eventually fail.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #4

Shouldnt the vapor barrier be between the concrete and the insulation, not on the room side of the insulation?

And what do you mean a vapor barrier is not used for a basement wall? This contradicts your sentence prior to that statement, and everything else I have read.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #5

Bob is correct. Here is some reading material for you: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1 and http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent%20moisture Enjoy! Be safe, GBAR
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
Shouldnt the vapor barrier be between the concrete and the insulation, not on the room side of the insulation?

And what do you mean a vapor barrier is not used for a basement wall? This contradicts your sentence prior to that statement, and everything else I have read.

This is the correct way. Rigid foam against the concrete. This will do three things. 1) Add some R-Value. 2) This will be enough to keep the air from condensing on the colder concrete if air moves through the wall (summer time) towards the outside. 3) Stop the moisture moving through the concrete into the inside space (winter) and accumulating on the insulation you have there now. Now a vapor barrier in any part of the framed wall will prevent one of the above two conditions to block moisture. This you do not want happening inside the wall. Next the wall needs to be constructed to be able to dry. To do this build the wall with at least 1/2" clear airspace between the foam and the framed wall. Next use any insulation needed as determined by your area. Spray or rigid is still the best way to go if costs allowed it. These will provide the code required "Vapor Retarder". Poly is a vapor barrier and should not be used. (Except in extreme cold environments) If using batt insulation use kraft faced which provides this retarder. Moisture can still move through it.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote