Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

How to insulate floor of side attic...

I have 2 small areas which I'm converting to be unconditioned space, so they have existing hardwood floor. I think I might know the answer, but what I'm wondering is how I should handle insulating the floor of this area which is above conditioned space on the first floor. I have R19 in place on one interior wall, I can lay R19 with a layer of unfaced R30 over the floor as I've done with the ceiling of this room, but that leaves a 6" uninsulated gap between the floor and the ceiling below..

Stuff a piece of fiberglass insulation into the wall up to the height of the top of the R30 I guess?

The construction is something between platform and balloon framed... The wall studs go down to a top plate for the floor below, but there is not a bottom plate for the wall. So I have access to the floor cavity.

Or is there a better approach?

Blown-in cellulose is not entirely practical, as I will be doing that on a larger scale, but I need to do wiring in other areas first, and whatever I do for this needs to be done now since it will get enclosed and not be easily accessible later.
Attached Thumbnails
How to insulate floor of side attic...-p1300002.jpg  

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #2

Can you add the correct thickness of insulation by pulling a batt apart rather than "stuffing" the wrong thickness in there? I would remove the hardwood flooring and insulate the required R-value amount. Do not leave any voids as it degrades the insulation tremendously; http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/how-b...ulation-90438/

Seal the wiring holes and seal under the knee wall at the joist cavities; http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...s/Step-By-Step

http://www.simplesavings.coop/simple...ee%20walls.pdf

Gary

Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

K, so it would be best to cut away the hardwood floor as much as I can and insulate into the joist cavities and so on the same as I'll be doing with the rest of the side attics? Thanks... it seems kind of obvious, I think I was may just not thinking clearly - it was a rough weekend, my wife and I were really hit by the flu bad on Saturday and our 2 kids were unaffected, so they're bouncing all over the place while we're being sick - all after I spent the whole week busting through issues to get rough inspection done so I could insulate and start hanging drywall.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

I'm a little confused by what you're doing.
I see what looks like water pipes in the cavity. How will these be protected?
And the hardwood floor will now be in an unconditioned space? This is not an environment for hardwood flooring.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
I ask the impossible!

Further to the rear is a 2-2-2-4 cable feeding a subpanel, nearer to the foreground is PVC conduit acting as raceway for a 10-3 NM cable for a dryer and a 14-2 cable for hard wired smoke detectors, no water pipes. They go to a surface mounted main panel, and it's surface mounted to drywall that is probably laid over a layer of studs which is laid over a layer of drywall and/or lath and plaster. This, the cables coming up from the main panel come up well outside the stud wall, thus I decided to just close off the area.

Now, I'm not that concerned with the hardwood flooring. We plan to carpet the room, the stuff that's being enclosed will no longer be visible, and in a few years it's coming out during a rebuild of the second floor. Even if some or all of that doesn't happen, it's not been well kept anyway and would need replacement. Like most of the house.