How To Install A Gas Fireplace Outside My Exterior Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to install a gas fireplace outside my exterior wall

Hello folks, I'm brand new to site:

Hope this works!

We have purchased a direct vent gas fireplace and have decided to save space inside our living room it would be best if we could install the body of the firebox outside the exterior wall and have only the clean face of the firebox showing through the drywall.
How do we support and surround the firebox on the outside of the home? We don't believe we can sister to the existing floor joist due to the existing construction - we have thought about a few scenarios but are not sure if they will work.

We have a Bobcat loader and could drill 2 holes for piles outside and then build a deck to sit the firebox on and then frame,cover, insulate and ensure proper fire rating for safety regulations.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before or can someone make suggestions if you think we are way out in left field?

Looking for all feed back.

Thanks

Liz

Advertisement

landrade50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I knjow this is real late but I just joined. I guess the question is how high off the ground it would be. I would frame a doghouse for the fireplace to fit in and finish it to match the exterior of the house. A deck would be fine for it to sit on also. I see it all the time. Just make sure that you seal it up good underneath because a lot of air will come through if not.

Advertisement

ausblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,046

I would use the house's floor joists somehow, above or below. Then I would present my idea to your local Building Department and continue from there. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote