Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #1

Share |

how to install deck rail posts?

Local code requires that ALL rail posts be attached to the OUTSIDE of rim and band joists with through bolts, and blocking or other hardware on the other other side (no notching). This may see like a dumb question, but, installation of the interior posts seems pretty easy, bolt them on, but how the heck do you attach the corner post to the outside band/rim, where two sides of the deck meet at a 90-deg angle? Or do you have to install two rail posts at the corneres, each say, 6 in from the corner? If so, how do you install rail "around" the corner? Pictures or diagrams would be helpful, I just can't figure out what this would look like. thanks.

tpcolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

how to install deck rail posts?

Funny, I have exactly the same issue presently with my deck. As you have figured out, there is no way to install a corner outside post. I am using two posts, one on the outside of each corner. The problem is that if you put the posts say three inches from each corner, you have more than the required 4 inches of opening allowed on a deck. I am planning to discuss this matter with my building inspector.

If he is insistent, I plan to add a corner block to the top and bottom, which effectively extends the top and bottom rails, miter them, and install another post at the intersection. I was planning to extend the cap rail and miter it anyway, it wouldn't take much to add a short piece of subrail and top rail, probably attach them using pocket screws. I think it will look a little odd, but I am not sure what else to do. If you come up with an alternative, let me know, I am interested.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote