Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Share |

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

In an upcoming project, I need to hoist a 10’x 9’ 2x4 16’ OC sheathed wall up three stories, about 30’. The addition the wall belongs to is rather small, just 5’x10’, so I can’t think of a way to frame the wall on the floor deck. I realize I can hire a crane & operator, and will do so if I have to, but I’d really prefer not to.

You can see what is going on in the picture below. That left upper window will eventually be a doorway leading into the addition. The wall in question on the left, immediately adjacent the neighbor. I’d like to frame and sheathe the wall on the ground hoist it straight up and then have the ability to rotate the hoist, crane, jib, whatever, to place the wall where it belongs.

I am open to any and all solutions at this point. I have resigned myself to hoisting it up, but there’s a flat roof above the space that perhaps I could use, or maybe someone can figure out to frame it on the deck, not sure. I need to get as much of the wall done before it is in place to limit the amount of time I will have to access my neighbor’s property.

Thanks!

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Can't buy the neighbor a nice night out in return longer access to their arrea to work on the project?

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Not, of course, that I haven't thought of that, but unfortunately no. He is not totally on board with the project, and if I create too much trouble, he'll make life difficult.

Sheathing the wall requires scaffolding and such would require scaffolding, but I can side the thing with a ladder.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
In an upcoming project, I need to hoist a 10’x 9’ 2x4 16’ OC sheathed wall up three stories, about 30’. The addition the wall belongs to is rather small, just 5’x10’, so I can’t think of a way to frame the wall on the floor deck. I realize I can hire a crane & operator, and will do so if I have to, but I’d really prefer not to.

You can see what is going on in the picture below. That left upper window will eventually be a doorway leading into the addition. The wall in question on the left, immediately adjacent the neighbor. I’d like to frame and sheathe the wall on the ground hoist it straight up and then have the ability to rotate the hoist, crane, jib, whatever, to place the wall where it belongs.

I am open to any and all solutions at this point. I have resigned myself to hoisting it up, but there’s a flat roof above the space that perhaps I could use, or maybe someone can figure out to frame it on the deck, not sure. I need to get as much of the wall done before it is in place to limit the amount of time I will have to access my neighbor’s property.

Thanks!

How come you can't frame the floor first and then build the wall on top of the floor?
kwikfishron (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Joe, thanks so much for your suggestion. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't think framing the wall on the floor and raising it is an option. The wall is 10' x 9' and the floor is just 10' x 5', so about 50% of the wall will be hanging off the side. That can't be good, right? Am I missing something? Is there a way to make that work?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

A framed wall consisting of approximately 10 2x4's and 2-1/2 sheets of OSB? How about just a couple of guys, a rope and a pulley?
Helpy Helperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Helpy, this is precisely what I want to do, but I can't figure out how to make it work right. The plan is to life the wall up and onto the upper most level of the project, so there is nothing above it to attach a pulley to. Does this make sense? Any thoughts on how to make it work?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #8

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Build it on the roof and lower it into position?
pls8xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #9

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

PLS- Great idea, but the same question as with hoisting it up... how? The wall is going to be heavy, so a pulley or hoist or something will be necessary, I think.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
Chicago, IL

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

How much clearance will you have between your wall and the existing adjacent wall ? Enough for half-width scaffolding? If so, you can build in place.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #11

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Unfortunately building it in place is not an option, although I appreciate your suggestions. As this is a rowhouse, the wall must be built exactly at the property line. If I am to setup scaffolding, ladders, etc., they would be on my neighbors property. This is exactly what I am working to avoid.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #12

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
PLS- Great idea, but the same question as with hoisting it up... how? The wall is going to be heavy, so a pulley or hoist or something will be necessary, I think.
I might do something like this ....

Attach a 2x12 along the roof edge with henge posts spaced a quarter inch wider than the wall length. Add two slide poles from the roof to floor with a heavy cross brace near the roof.

Build the wall then slide it over the edge to near the balance point. Drill through the henge posts and into the side of the wall studs. Install henge bolts. Tilt the wall into the position shown below. Install pulleys (blue) and rope (green). Remove hinge bolts and control the slide to the floor with the rope.

pls8xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #13

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

Build the frame laying flat on the roof w/o the sheathing. Lower it to the platform. It's light w/o the sheathing. One guy on the roof and and a guy on the deck should handle it. Stand it up against the brick wall and sheath it.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Framing Contractor

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

You HAVE to forget about sheathing this wall before you stand it. There's no reason at all to try and do this. It's dangerous and ridiculous. Get a 32' ladder or a scaffold on the side where it's off the deck and have a guy on the scaffold or ladder. Frame the wall on the roof and lower it down. Sheath afterwards as was mentioned by Zircom. It's the safest way.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #15

How to Hoist Wall 30' Up

frame the wall standing up on the deck 3' back from edge with sheathing. Bracing to inside wall so it stays vertical while framing. Nail 3 2x stops to outside wall and slide wall into position. No wind day advisable, have done this many times. make the stop for the wall as a temp safety rail

Last edited by tpolk; 02-05-2011 at 09:08 AM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote