Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

How high is too high in fence construction?

What is the tallest privacy fence I could reasonably construct, local codes notwithstanding. I have a 6 footer which is currently not high enough.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #2

How tall is your step ladder? As long as you don't have to stand on that step that's labeled "do not stand on this step" you'll be ok.

Seriously, if codes aren't an issue and it's designed for the wind expected in your area the sky (and your ladder and budget) is the limit.

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #3

Here anything 6' & over needs to be approved/permit
Not sure what that process is
Possibly neighbor(s) have the right to provide negative input before permit is issued ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Thanks. I'm thinking privacy trees will be a better option but that is another topic.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Thanks. I'm thinking privacy trees will be a better option but that is another topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spite_fence

Tenga cuidado, seņor, with this type of barrier.
http://www.oddcast.com/demos/tts/tts...le.php?clients

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-12-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
That's funny, I like it. A guy at work built a "spite shop," which stood just tall enough to be right next to the guy's living room window, ruining his view.

The best part is, our guy moved 4 days after he turned the power on in that shop, so the neighbor has to live with it without feuding with the guy that actually built it.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #7

I guess the law says if you're going to live near neighbors you have to give up some privacy. But then, there are gated communities.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #8

OK Yoyizit here is the rest of the story so you will understand my concerns. This guy in his late 50s-early 60s moves in next door to me about two years ago. A mutual neighbor warns us that this guy was reported by his own family after his niece and nephew complained that they were molested. Then a freelance contractor moves into the basement and starts doing all sorts of building to include a second floor addition that looks more like an observation deck overlooking my back yard that an addition (see my thread and pictures in the landscaping section) There is an older gentleman living in the addition so now we are up to three unrelated men, one with a possible history of sex offense, just never convicted living under the same small roof.

Daily, the older man and now a younger man in his twenties are seen sitting on this second floor deck looking down into my back yard where my children ages 6 and 14, both with learning dissabilities play.

Sooo, walk a mile in my shoes before you make jokes about me wanting to put up a "spite fence". The plan is to sell and move after inside renovations are done but in the meantime privacy from these neighbors is a necessity.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
OK Yoyizit here is the rest of the story so you will understand my concerns. This guy in his late 50s-early 60s moves in next door to me about two years ago. A mutual neighbor warns us that this guy was reported by his own family after his niece and nephew complained that they were molested. Then a freelance contractor moves into the basement and starts doing all sorts of building to include a second floor addition that looks more like an observation deck overlooking my back yard that an addition (see my thread and pictures in the landscaping section) There is an older gentleman living in the addition so now we are up to three unrelated men, one with a possible history of sex offense, just never convicted living under the same small roof.

Daily, the older man and now a younger man in his twenties are seen sitting on this second floor deck looking down into my back yard where my children ages 6 and 14, both with learning dissabilities play.

Sooo, walk a mile in my shoes before you make jokes about me wanting to put up a "spite fence". The plan is to sell and move after inside renovations are done but in the meantime privacy from these neighbors is a necessity.
And I thought I had troubles. Time to see a lawyer. You might also want to get a surveillance camera with a tape loop setup.

These guys don't like what the psych community has to say about them.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #10

Jim, some poplar trees grow very fast and tall. There not all that pretty but they can put up a tall green privacy screen pretty quick. A garden center would know the best type for fast high growth. Plant them close together.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #11

Looking into surveillance cameras too. Everything costs $$. We are actually very dilligent about watching our kids but it still makes me very nervous. If the family hadn't dropped the charges this would all be moot. As it is, no legal recourse just try to block the view and make them aware that we are watching our kids like hawks. My older kids have gone so far as to set up lawn chairs and stair back at them.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

If it's just visual interference you want how about a trellis? What about shade cloth? Tarps?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #13

What about reporting their addition if you think they didn't pull a permit.

And telling all the neighbors about your concerns so they can help keep track of these guys?
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #14

Jim, have you had a discussion with local law enforcement? I know they can't do anything at this point but you could get their advice and at least document complaints about their watching your kids. Should any conflicts or incidents occur in the future you'll want complaints of their snooping on file.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #15

Actually looking into all thes suggestions. One site about poplars said they are good for quick growth but short lives and you have to contain their root systems. They actually suggested using poplars in conjusction with slower growing and heatier trees.

My brother-in-law worked with underaged sex offenders in Ma. He has given us good suggestions including keeping a log.

The code enforcement officer hasn't gotten back to us yet. I think he must be a retired guy looking to supplement his income. He went to look once, thought I was talking about the front porch which is old. I don't know how he missed that addition.