How To Have A Temp Driveway And Plan For The Future? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

How to have a temp driveway and plan for the future?

Right now I have a small asphalt driveway and a small rock driveway next to it. In the future I want to do pavers and make one BIG driveway. BUT for now I want something that joins both drives together.

Can I cover the asphalt with stone and add more stone to make a big temp driveway? Then when I'm ready for pavers in the future, I can put additional base (sand or something) over all the stone to make a nice foundation for the pavers.

My goal is to eliminate tearing up the asphalt.

thanks for the help

Advertisement

luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

A couple things. In Jersey, if you're going to expand your driveway, you need to submit an application to the zoning department. Regardless of what the design is. It's a long story, but the short version is that New Jersey is particular in how much impervious cover sits on a property. And since every town is subject to the site development regs (and almost every town has its own ordinances), you need to let the town's zoning department know the particulars (square feet of existing imperv, planned pervious/impervious, etc). Call the zoning department and let them know what you want to do, and they'll let you know what to do. One note, sometimes the folks in the office have a zillion things going on, and when they describe steps, it sometimes comes out sounding like the super-fast rapid-fire fine print in auto dealer radio commercials. If it does, try to understand that they're probably multi-tasking, and have them repeat it slower.

As for leaving the asphalt under half of the stone driveway, and putting sand and pavers on top, I don't think that's a wise choice. It wouldn't be wise even if the whole thing started out as asphalt. Pavers require edge restraints, otherwise they'll spread out and look horrible. A properly designed paver driveway will have a bit of excavation, geo fabric (in certain cases), a proper recessed gravel base, edge restraints, sand bedding, etc. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if your goal is leaving the asphalt there.

Advertisement

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,464

just for the records - pervious conc IS pervious - pavers are not !

as ag sez, you might get away w/o tearing up the d/w in warren cty but not likely anywhere else,,, why not do it right the 1st time ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
My goal is to eliminate tearing up the asphalt.
Ayuh,... 2" of stone,... then 2" of sand,... then 2, 1/2" pavers,..?? That's gonna be 1 Tall driveway...
Is the driveway sunken enough for the added height,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote