How Hard To Replace Window Screens? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How hard to replace window screens?

How easy or hard is it to replace window screens? I've never done it before, but I'm pretty handy.

Advertisement

TomBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

If you're talking about just replacing the screen portion of a storm window then HD has everything you need. All you need is the screen, spline, and the tool. It's pretty easy just don't make the screen so tight that the frame bows in.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Best way is to clamp the frame down on a flat surface. Make sure your frame is square. It's real easy to pull a light frame out of square when you roll the spline in. Lay the screening on top and square one edge. Roll a groove in the screening where it goes into the frame. Then roll the spline into the groove. Hold the screen fabric square with just a little tension and run down one side using the same process. Complete the remaining sides. If it is a large screen, be careful that you don't pull the side rails in when you roll the spline in. You want enough tension to keep the fabric taut, but not so much that you pull the frame out of square or into an hourglass shape. You'll need a spline roller. A dull striaghtblade screwdriver to start the spline and finish the corners. Trim the excess fabric with a utility knife. For large screens, I sometimes cut a piece of 1/4" lattice as a spacer for the center.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

OK. Thanks. I'll give it a go.
=Tom
TomBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
How easy or hard is it to replace window screens? I've never done it before, but I'm pretty handy.
If you have anderson windows, It may have aluminum spline & alum screen, both of which are a pain to redo. Use fiberglass if possible.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote