Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

How to handle a bad joist

I have a 2X10 joist directly under my kithchen that has split at one end starting at the outside wall of the house and running a foot or so along the length of the joist. The joist appears to have been a really crappy piece of wood to begin with. The surrounding joists are fine.

I'm looking at getting it repaired, but I was hoping someone could recommend the best option for this type of problem. Would sistering work here? It would be diffucult to run a parallel board the entire length of the joist since my furnace is in the way. I could probably run it 2/3 of the length pretty easily. The total span is about 12'.

Any help is appreciated.
b-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #2

Running it 2/3 of the way is probably just fine. I would suggest that you use construction adhesive liberally and 10d nails. A few 3/8" carriage bolts and washers could be used to draw the two pieces tightly together if necessary. Don't use too many bolts though...Just nail the crap out of it...A vertical stack of 4 nails ever 12" or so will be more than adequate.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #3

Thanks! Would it make sense to run it on both sides of the joist, or is one side sufficient?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Thekctermite knows his P's and Q's. That will work fine. Try not to get lazy and use a row of three. Any nail in the middle of the joist won't do much, strength wise, other than hold the joists together until the glue dried.

If the crack starts at the end of the joist, where it seats itself (either on a beam or sill plate, make sure your reinforcing joist gets all the way back there. That end of the reinforcing joist will now be taking the shear load, so make sure it fits and seats well. One side is enough. 2/3 of the way is fine.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #5

Thanks Aggie. I definately agree that it isn't necessary to add a scab to both sides. One side...Properly done...Is sufficient.

As for the glue, you have to work fast. It will skin over quickly, and it is much less effective if it skins over. So have your liuid nails tubes open and ready to roll when you start, and have a helper handy. If no helper, a clamp or two will help. Pre-drill any holes for bolts (using clamps or your helper to hold the scab in place) so they're ready to receive a bolt and get tightened down before the glue dries.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #6

Great - Thanks. Is there a specific glue that should be used?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #7

Any liquid nails-type construction adhesive or subfloor adhesive is appropriate. It comes in caulk tubes. Use plenty.