Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to get building plans

I'd like to drill a 1/2" x 14" hole through who knows what in the wall of my apartment (I own the apartment and am allowed to drill through the walls). I can see what's in the last 4-5" (plaster, mesh, space, concrete), and I know the first inch or two is suitable for nails because closet shelves are nailed into it. The rest is a mystery.

I've written to the the Buildings Dept. in the past asking for the plans for my apartment because studs are difficult to locate in my plaster and mesh walls but I received no reply. It's a New York City building that was publicly funded in the 1960s. If I remember correctly, there's a Freedom of Information law in NY State and NY City follows it. Would the city have plans that would show where the beams, pipes, wires, etc. are? Would I need a stud detector with a probe?

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Even if you had the plans --they would not be much help in finding the studs----

The carpenters that did the framing chose the method and layout---the plans only show how log and how tall a wall is---the carpenter makes the wall his way --to his layout---using the stud spacing dictated by the plans and local code---

Typical stud spacing is 16 inches apart---some times 24 sometimes something different--

If you can locate one stud---look for an electric box--that will be nailed to a stud---measure over 16" and drill a small hole--if you hit wood---do that again 16 over--and try again---

Few stud finders work well with plaster and wire mesh----

Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

The "studs" in some of my walls are narrow steel channels or something, tied to mesh and some kind of bead at the ceiling rather than a normal track (see photos). I try to avoid them now. I'm just worried about the 14" deep hole for now.

In the picture that shows the pipe on the right side, you can see where I want to drill - I want to drill on the left side, above where that bar goes through the space. Hopefully it's just more concrete block I'd be drilling through, but it would be nice to know for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
How to get building plans-wooden-beam-inside-wall-small.jpg   How to get building plans-inside-wall-floor.jpg  

Last edited by Dorado; 02-11-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Would the city have plans that would show where the beams, pipes, wires, etc. are? Would I need a stud detector with a probe?
they may or may not, depends on how long they keep records on file. they may have them on microfiche. I'd go to the building department and not write them to find out.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
DIY staff

You don't have studs---that's a steel braced mesh with plaster---what exactly are you trying to do?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

There would not be any studs in that type of wall makeup. The only structural wall is that concrete block, what you see in your apartment, is just cosmetic. Google for the photos, when Sandy hit, where the front wall of a couple of buildings fell. There are a couple that show a box within the actual box the apartment sits inside.

Now of course, your best bet would be to locate a company in NYC that works on these buildings, and they can easily describe the makeup of how they did the plaster & metal lathe walls.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Roofmaster

What are you attempting to do, or is it a secret?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
what exactly are you trying to do?
When I wanted to find the studs (in a wall not pictured), I wanted to fasten my shelves to the wall so they wouldn't fall during an earthquake. That was a few years ago when NY had the first earthquake that I ever felt and knew damn well was an earthquake. Now I want to drill from inside a closet to the hallway to insert 1/2" or smaller EMT and a coaxial cable.

Last edited by Dorado; 02-11-2013 at 08:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dorado For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #9

The measurements seem right for the unknown area to contain another cinderblock, so I'll just try to estimate where the hollow section of the block is and aim there. When I drill through to the hollow section, I'll make sure it's hollow for the full depth that you'd expect it to be hollow. Then I'll be kind of confident it's just a cinderblock with nothing inside. If there's a void where I expect a cinderblock, hopefully the void will be deep enough that I'd know the only thing left to drill through is the stuff I see in the photo, which seems safe to drill through. But I still want those building plans. I'll check the Building Dept's website. Maybe I'll go down there.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
DIY staff

That mesh/plaster wall will support a lot of weight using wing backed anchors---no beed to hit the cinderbloc if it is a ways back from the mesh/plaster wall---
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #11

I have never seen any set of building plans that showed the location of studs, plumbing, or wiring.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I have never seen any set of building plans that showed the location of studs, plumbing, or wiring.
It depends on the structure. Back in the day when you actually had Industrial Arts classes in high school, we were taught by our instructor how to draw up plans for electrical, hvac, stud placement, plumbing, etc..

That was also because our school had a building trades class, and we drew up plans also for building homes to auction off, to help fund the trades classes. I remember that my school went as far as actually building a small home inside the shop, to show students how to manufacturer a home, plus taught the skills needed that they could take with them later on, when they owned their own home.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #13

I think Kootenay plans show studs and they would tell me whether there's a cinder block where I'm expecting it.

Quote:
Building Plans Must Include:

Cross Section
  • detailing method of construction and material details for walls, floors and roof drawn to scale (usually to 1)
Centeal Kootenay Building Plan Submission

But I'm in Brooklyn.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 42

The #1 rule of home construction....walls are never straight

Rule #2....studs are not where you expect them

I just use a small drill to locate voids....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

I found that with my place, the inside walls were set with the studs at 16 o/c from the doorway openings, going towards the outside walls. If you measure from the outside inwards, you will always miss the studs.