Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Share |

how to frame up for a 7' 9' garage door

garage door is 6' 6" high and 9' wide. have an opening of 7' 6" tall and 9' 6" wide. How do i frame in for a garage door installation. The track has a standard radius of 12".
rodrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
remodeling pro

how to frame up for a 7' 9' garage door

Pack the sides out as needed with studs, but I would fill the top with either a built up header or a solid timber header, as the bracket for an electric opener track will attach here, and it will be easier to work with than building a tiny little wall section. I would header completely across the existing opening first, and use multiple jack studs to pack the wall out. Remember that the FINISHED size of the opening will be equal to the size of the door. Check with the door company to see if you need a set of top curves designed for tight clearance conditions, they have different radiuses that allow the panels to roll up withour hitting anything.The finished jambs will need to stick 1 1/2" past the finish of the interior, so that you can lay a 2 x 6 on the flat next to them, to receive the brackets for the door.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote