How To Frame A Door Under Soffit - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to Frame a Door under Soffit

I am in the process of framing a door that falls below a soffit. I've placed my backing 2x4's between the joists to the left of the water and gas lines. My two worries are: 1) how to frame the right side of the door, and 2) how the part to the right of the door will attach since a metal pole is in the way and nothing to back to on the top.

Thanks in advance,
Brent
Attached Thumbnails
How to Frame a Door under Soffit-img_0924-1.jpg  

Advertisement

xlr8tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Will the actual door be between the wall on the left and that lonely stud on the right? I assume there will be a wall from that lonely stud past the four inch post? What would stop you from screwing a wood stud on each side of the post? or even boxing it in?
And you may want to add some wood to those 'backing' 2x4's you put up so you won't run into those electrical conduits and the gas line.

On Edit: You know your wall will have to be as wide as that post, unless the post is under stud width, right?

Advertisement

Last edited by SeanR; 01-17-2008 at 07:14 PM.
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #3

the door will be between the wall on the left and the stud you see just placed there. There will also be a wall heading out towards the small vent pvc pipe. Yeah. I haven't placed my top plate yet until I figure out how I am going to do this. Meanwhile, I guess I can start framing my soffit from the other side of the house.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #4

That pole will be contained in my bathroom front wall. It is 4" wide. I was planning to use 2X4's and then place 1/2" plywood on the inside bathroom wall to make up the 1/2". I was then going to use jamb extensions on the door.