Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

Share |

How to frame basement walls with 9' ceiling

When my home was built, I had the builder pour 9' walls in the basement, expecting to finish the space some time in the future. I'm now at the point of considering the project, and have a question regarding how I would frame the walls. I am planning on putting in a drop ceiling. Allowing for duct work and center supports will put my finished ceiling height at just a hair under 8'.

Do I build 9' walls, connecting to the concrete pad and floor joists above? If so, does the dry-wall need to go to the top plate, or can it end short at 8'?

Or, can I put in 8' walls and somehow fasten the top of the 8'wall to the concrete walls?

Thank you.

jigglyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Experienced

Hi and welcome Jigglyman, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

Heck with standard framing you should do this.....

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...e-theater.html

Mark

Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
DIY staff

You could do either----If you want a drop ceiling --remember,you will loose an inch of height for the metal wall L piece.

If you use 8' studs--with a top and bottom plate --that's 8' 3"--Hold the drywall an inch or an inch and a half--There's your 8' ceiling.

Using a stud gun to attach an L shaped cleat to the wall has always worked for me.

A tip on building basement walls-----Build them on the floor with the top closest to the foundation--
Then drag them up the wall to stand them up.

All to often a wall built in the usual manner will bump into some pipe or electrical that you didn't notice.
(The usual method of wall building is bottom of stud wall nearest the foundation,

Go ahead--ask away---lots of folks here have finish a basement.----Mike--
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

Somebody just posted this exact issue a few weeks ago. Maybe someone can find it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

The frame wall should run to the joists in order to get rigidity for the wall. Add fire-blocking at the drop ceiling height to prevent a fire in the wall from reaching the joist bays or drop ceiling void. Also fire-block to the concrete wall required every 10' lineally, to stop fire from traveling laterally.

Gary
Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #6

Jiggy,
Why don't you just go to a real lumberyard and order 9' precuts, (104 5/8") ? Build the walls aprox. 3/4" short and stand them up. Pin bottom plate with a ramset gun, plumb walls, cut some plywood strips to fit every couple of feet between top of wall and top plate. Fasten with a nail gun or 3" screws. If you are using treated bottom plates, you can get ramset pins that are compatible with treated lumber. It does make things a bit easier to have the walls run up just under the joists than stopping a foot short.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote