Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

how to frame angled soffit from ceiling soffit to wall

I am a little unsure on the math for this...

I have a soffit that runs the length of the ceiling that has HVAC ducts in it, at the end the HVAC ducts do two 45's to make go under an I beam so it drops below the soffit level then through the wall.. I need to make an angled soffit at this spot to cover it up. I am not sure how to determin the angles of the cuts.. it's not a 45 degree angle, I know that for sure, already went that route thinking it would be that easy...

attached is an example of what it kind of looks like, the blue is the boards I need to cut.

How do I go about finding the angles of each end to cut and the length? thanks!
Attached Images

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #2

You might just want to mock it up with a cardboard template and use an adjustable square. If you want a real angle then we need to know the vertical and horizontal distances.

eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
I am a little unsure on the math for this...

I have a soffit that runs the length of the ceiling that has HVAC ducts in it, at the end the HVAC ducts do two 45's to make go under an I beam so it drops below the soffit level then through the wall.. I need to make an angled soffit at this spot to cover it up. I am not sure how to determin the angles of the cuts.. it's not a 45 degree angle, I know that for sure, already went that route thinking it would be that easy...

attached is an example of what it kind of looks like, the blue is the boards I need to cut.

How do I go about finding the angles of each end to cut and the length? thanks!

Why not pick up a cheap angle gauge,and be done with it.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Hi, One of the best ways I have found to frame, especially roofs and angle soffit blocks is to make a cut template. for your soffit a 2x4 can be made into a template. the easiest way to figure out your template, cut a 2x4 that extends into the wall framing and also extends up into the ceiling framing. Place the 2x at the angle you want like shown in the diagram and try and line the sides of the 2x with the wall stud and the soffit ceiling block and scribe the 2x with a pencil. This will show you the angle on both the wall and soffit. If the soffit is level and spaced evenly along the wall then the 2x template should work for the entire amount of angled soffit you want to frame.

a speed square works wonders while framing 2x lumber.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

I agree with hand drive. I cut a scrap piece that is a little bit longer, hold it up there, and trace my lines.
cube17576 is offline   Reply With Quote