Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Share |

How to Frame a 15' wall

Good day,

I will be building a wall in a rec room that will be around 15' in height. This wall is just to partition off an area in the room and will carry no load. I have plenty of straight 8' studs and would like to use them instead of purchasing 16' studs. I also have seen that the 16' studs tend to be less straight then the 8' studs. Is this ok to do, and if so, do I just frame in a standard 8' wall, then build another 7' wall on top of the new 8' wall? Basically do I have a sole plate, the 8' studs, the top plate, another sole plate, 7' studs and the second top plate?

Please excuse me as I haven't done too much framing...

Thanks!

- Joe

jlatulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
STRUCTURAL

How to Frame a 15' wall

Joe,

If you have 2x8 studs it could work for a 15' high wall, 2x6's I doubt it even if they were in one piece eventually they will have a big bulge without any load on them.

In any case how you want to do it is the worst possible condition if the wall is not laterally braced at the mid-plate.

You have to splice the studs by using short pieces of stud (2 ft) on either side of the wide face of the splice and drive in a minimum of 8 nails above the splice and 8 nails below the splice, spread them symmetrically. Nails have to be a minimum 2.5" long. Wood screws will work too, same length.

Alternatively for the splice use a 2' steel track, 18ga, one side only, that will fit into the studs and fasten everything with special No. 8 or 10 steel screws, self drilling/self tapping 1.5" long, Pancake Head. Drive a few screws on the narrow face of the studs too.

Do not forget to install blocking between studs every 4' feet in height.

CHM Consultants Engineers

ENGINEER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

How to Frame a 15' wall

Thanks for the reply. I am having difficulty visualizing what you are describing as the proper method to frame this wall. Can you describe it in more detail as I am not familiar with framing concepts. Do you know of any websites which detail this building process for the lay person?

Thanks again for your help!

- Joe
jlatulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to reality

How to Frame a 15' wall

I would not splice the 2x4's The best way for is to use 2x6x16 and place 2x6 blocks at midway point or if there is another wall at a different elevation you can use that hight. When building a ballon wall you should also use plywood sheeeting on the outside for strength of the wall
reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

How to Frame a 15' wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINEER10 View Post
Joe,

If you have 2x8 studs it could work for a 15' high wall, 2x6's I doubt it even if they were in one piece eventually they will have a big bulge without any load on them.
That's not true. I've framed many 15' 2x6 walls carrying the load of rafters and ceiling joists on top of them and they don't bow.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #6

How to Frame a 15' wall

I'd be very tempted to use 16' steel studs. Would be nice and straight.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

How to Frame a 15' wall

The OPS states that this is a non-load bearing wall, in fact simply a partition wall. Assuming this is accurate, there is no reason to splice the studs, simply build the wall the same way every two story house is built, i.e. a line of 8 foot studs, a top plate (double 2x4 is fine), and another line of 8 foot studs to get to 15 feet, with a top plate on top of the second level of studs. As long as the top is braced by attaching the top plate to a framing element, i.e. you are not trying to build a free standing wall, there is no problem, since you are not trying to carry any load other than the dead load of the materials.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #8

How to Frame a 15' wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
That's not true. I've framed many 15' 2x6 walls carrying the load of rafters and ceiling joists on top of them and they don't bow.
+1. I framed a courthouse where 2x6x16's were used for all exterior walls.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Mod

How to Frame a 15' wall

You don’t say how long this wall is. If you want to use up your 8’s and stack the wall, that's fine as DH said but I’d at least try to make the middle plates continues. Also bridge your sheetrock or whatever your using over that joint and do not break it on the joint.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
STRUCTURAL

How to Frame a 15' wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Guys,

I know you do it but I have been asked more than once to inspect such incidences where very tall 2x6 stud walls not carrying any load did bow.

If you did it then you may not know how it behaved after 10 years because no one calls you back.

For the guy with the courthouse there must have been other intermediary lateral bracing for that wall on one side hidden from view because otherwise it would not stay in place.

Contractors usually like saying things like this without considering all factors.

A tall 6" steel stud is fine but not a wood one.
__________________________________________________ _____________________
CHM Consultants Engineers

infoCHM@Gmail.com
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Last edited by ENGINEER10; 10-13-2010 at 10:23 PM.
ENGINEER10 is offline   Reply With Quote