How To Finish Basement On The Cheap - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to Finish Basement on the Cheap

I have finished 3 basements very successfully as a DIY. I now live in a big city that has city codes that require that plumbing be done by a licensed master plumber and electrical be done by a licensed master electrician. I'd like to do the work myself. Is there any way to get around this?

Advertisement

jeffro49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

If that is the law, then it is the law. To do otherwise would then be illegal.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Is it likely that an electrician or plumber would let me physically do the work (as an apprentice or subcontractor) and they would inspect and sign off on it and I could pay them for their services?
jeffro49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro49 View Post
Is it likely that an electrician or plumber would let me physically do the work (as an apprentice or subcontractor) and they would inspect and sign off on it and I could pay them for their services?
Not trying to sound sarcastic, but in all honosty, Don't get your hopes up too high that a licensed Electrician or Plumber will go for that kind of arrangement.

Anything that involves a license, permit, or inspections, I will not allow a home owner to do the work. That is the whole point of the permiting and licensing process. The person pulling the permit becomes the responsible party. Anything that happens in the future, becomes their problem.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #5

As a codes official, I think it sucks that they won't let you do your own work. That rule is usually in place not for the greater good or public safety, but because the various trades and unions are scratching the backs of the politicians. I suggest that you file a formal complaint with the city adminstration, council, and mayor's office regarding their policy.

That being said, it is the law. Can you break the law? Sure. Should you? That's for you to decide. We certainly won't advocate it here though.

I doubt you'll find a respectable tradesman that will sign off your work on the back of his license. Too risky for them.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Don't do it...Today its all about downloading the risks to the trade or Engineer /Designer who signed the Plans or ok'ed the Permit based on them...

In any project being done the plumbing and the electic have to be done right or the health and safety of anyone using the place can be at great risk...We just had a house fire near here that the police are checking out as someone was redoing some wiring (no permit)and that caused the fire...Kids were hurt...If your that good at doing these trades after only 3 DIY jobs ?? than go write for and get your license there...

Advertisement

Lansing
Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote