How To Find A Garage Door Dealer - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to find a garage door dealer

Hi, all.

I have a 2.5 car garage with a 16' door that needs to be replaced. It's about 25 years old, solid wood (heavy), and is definitely showing its age.

In addition, I am going to be making a "cutout" along one side of the garage toward the rear to install another 7' door so that I can drive the tractor in and out without moving the cars - this is a necessity for winter when I'll need to drive the tractor out to clear snow.

I'm not overly thrilled about trying to deal with your typical box store home improvement center to buy the doors because I don't believe I'm getting a reasonable quality door for my money.

I'm also not excited about the prospect of going to a "Garage Door Store" because they typically have higher costs (especially for people like me that they won't make any money off of the install).

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to find a dealer where I can choose my door based on specs and design and then do the install myself? And, I won't feel like I completely overpaid for everything?

My guy says that the large door should be $1,000 or less (new spring, use existing track?) and the other should be $750 or less (new track and spring).

I need doors that have a modest insulation value and don't want windows. The house is a ranch, so an appropriately styled door is a must-have.

If anyone has a specific dealer in the greater Hartford, CT area, feel free to PM me.

Advertisement

meburdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You've listed many restrictions for this purchase.
I don't see a valid reason not to get it from a box store. I've put quite a few Clopay, higher end doors in without an issue.
Sounds like you're after the, "Holy Graile" of garage retailers.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

I agree with Ron. Clopay makes good doors are a reasonable price point and you can install them. HD shipped mine right to home so I didn't even have to pick them up.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

As others have said, if you are going to install it yourself a big box store will likley have a selection and reasonable pricing.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,458

this thread is f'n amazing you don't like what's available locally 'cause they're all trying to rip you off, you evidently do have i-net access, & google doesn't service your area's i-net connection,,, f'n amazing !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
this thread is f'n amazing you don't like what's available locally 'cause they're all trying to rip you off, you evidently do have i-net access, & google doesn't service your area's i-net connection,,, f'n amazing !
Don't have a f'n stroke, man.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote