Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Share |

How to find footer in basement floor

I am doing some work and would like to find just where my footer is, from the inside of my basement perspective. The home was built in the 1950's in Connecticut. I dont know if there was a general rule of thumb as far as how far down the footer should be.

I plan to jack hammer the perimeter of my basement but obviously dont want to damage my footer. Not sure how I am supposed to know when Ive reached it. I was under the impression that the footer would be several inches deep, but i get the feeling ive reached it and its only 2 to 3 inches down.

Here are some pics. Anything else I can add or any other pics that would help anyone answer this for me, just ask.

Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... Yer lookin' at the footer, in yer pictures....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Dang it! So if thats the footer just below the inch or so of concrete floor, that sucks as far as what I wanted to do. That and Ive damaged this section of the footer already.

I was hoping to tear out along the wall, drill weep holes and install a drain similar to the waterguard material that the weep holes can drain right into.

I wonder if I could just tear the inch or so of concrete up in sections, every foot or so, drill a weep hole, connect a 3/4 pvc which will extend far enough out to the drain tile already installed sitting next to the footer, then cover that up with fresh concrete.

I have done what I can for fixing my gutters and drainage around the exterior of my house. But during very heavy rains, or massive snow melt/plus rain like we just got up here, there are a few spots in my basement where water comes in from the wall at the floor level. I was hoping I could get the weep holes done and tied into a drain under the basement floor, giving the water an easy path out of my walls, instead of just leaking out where I dont want it to.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

The Waterguard system just collects the water after it leaks through a wall. It is a proprietary system and the "pieces" are usually not available to someone except a licensed installer.

The system is not equal to a real tile system that collects the water from under the slab and from behind the basement wall. This real drain tile system eliminates the hydrostatic pressure that forces water through a wall, pushes in on the wall and upward on the basement slab. I did my 600 sf basement in 4 weekends with my 12 year old son plus hiring someone to do the saw cutting in about 30 minutes before I started breaking concrete and digging down for the perforated pvc sections. - I went down about 14" from the top of the slab to put the pvc deep enough to reduce the pressure behind the wall and under the slab. I used 3/4" poly to drain the cores while it was easy to do and ran the poly into the drainage material around the perforated pvc.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 03-20-2013 at 02:43 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
The Waterguard system just collects the water after it leaks through a wall. It is a proprietary system and the "pieces" are usually not available to someone except a licensed installer.

The system is not equal to a real tile system the collects the water from under the slab and from behind the basement wall. This eliminates the hydrostatic pressure the forces water through a wall, pushes in on the wall and upward on the basement slab. I did a 600 sf basement in 4 weekends with my 12 year old son plus hiring someone to do the saw cutting in about 30 minutes before I started breaking concrete and digging down for the perforated pvc sections.

Dick
Can you explain a little more of what you did?

I do have some sort of drainage pipe sitting next to the footer already, but I would feel more comfortable being able to so something with weep holes. This would help, I believe, during the worst moments I mentioned above.

I actually found a place where I can get the waterguard materials but given that it appears my footer sits to high, it wouldn't work for me anyways I guess
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PkvqLs4Gu2...or_Drain_3.gif
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Joe,

thanks for the pic. Couple questions. Would the trough be covered in the end? Are weep holes (with or without pipes inserted) done as well?

Not sure by your pic, how water coming from walls would get to drain without weep holes. Forgive me for my ignorance on this topic
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

The best way is to keep the water from getting there in the first place.
Working gutters, grade running away from the foundation, no flower beds forming ponds, no mulch pilled up againt the foundation,water proofing the outside of the foundation, may need a french drain.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The best way is to keep the water from getting there in the first place.
Working gutters, grade running away from the foundation, no flower beds forming ponds, no mulch pilled up againt the foundation,water proofing the outside of the foundation, may need a french drain.
Thanks. I live in a high water table area. Both of my neighbors have the same issue. Ive done and continue to do what I can for gutters and grading around the home. I still have work to do on the outside of my bilco doors. I dont have the money to spend on excavating the perimeter of my home. Id really like to go the weep hole route.

But now knowing that my footer is only about 2 inches below my basement floor, that sure puts a damper on my plans.

My thinking now is that perhaps I can still do the weep holes. Perhaps every foot or two I can break up the concrete next to the wall, drill weep holes and insert 3/4 pvc piping, having the piping extend far enough to the drain tile already sitting on the inside of the footer. Though I am considering if I should tear out the drain tile and replace it. It seems like its some sort of ceramic material and ive already broken over a foot of it in one area by accident because I didnt know it was there.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

you'll still need weep holes no matter what you do,,, try this place [ NO financial interest ] http://waterproof.com/DIY-flooded-ba...-pressure.html

stadry is online now   Reply With Quote