DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   how to fill the gaps between concrete blocks? (

micapavlov 01-03-2010 12:12 AM

how to fill the gaps between concrete blocks?
I’ve resurfaced my concrete patio with, what is called “concrete overlay”. The patio consist of several concrete 8’x4’ blocks, separated with (dry rutted) 2”x4” which I removed before the concrete was resurfaced. Now that the concrete looks really good, I would like to fill the gaps (184 feet of it) with concrete and top it with ether river rock/pebbles or ½” x ½” mosaic tiles. I have two concerns: one that the long segments of concrete up to 30 feet long and only 1 1/2 “ wide and 2-3 inches deep will not be staying in one piece for too long. And second, that the pebbles will not adhere to the concrete good enough(I’m real novice at this).
Questions, should I use the concrete to fill the gaps? Should I use the pebbles or small mosaic tiles to decorate the concrete gaps? Are there any concrete additives to improve the flexibility and adherence of concrete?
I would also appreciate any other ideas?
If pertinent, I live in coastal California.

Just Bill 01-03-2010 06:55 AM

Not quite sure what you are asking, a pic would help us. small gaps can be sealed with urethane caulk(not foam). It sticks to everything and never really hardens so it moves with the surface it is on.

micapavlov 01-03-2010 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As per pattached picture the gap between the concrete slabs is 1 1/2" wide and 2-3" deep. I would like to close the gap and make it look nice. The options that come to my mind are: fill with soil and grow low growing grass(this would not be my choice-high maintenance), use wood composite 2" x4" as it was originaly( the gap between the slabs is smaller due to run off from new over coat-would be difficult to squeeze the 2x4 in the gap), use (elastic) concrete and pebbles(concrete aggregate look).
Or better suggestion from any of you with greater experience with such matter.

bob22 01-03-2010 02:33 PM

I used some polyurethane-based material that came in a caulking tube. You stuff backer-rod (foam tubing about 1/2 to 3/4" in diameter depending on your gap size) in the gap then lay in this stuff. If flows and then hardens to a flexible joint. HD had the stuff in a color oo three. Might try to find it at a masonary supply for wider color selection or buy on-line somewhere. I forget the brand name sadly.

micapavlov 01-03-2010 04:53 PM

Thanks! After you posted your idea, I googled backer-rod(did not know about it) and ran into another term "Chinking". As I read, realized that another option is to use small pebbles ($4/bag at Home Depot) as a feeler(in place of backer-rod) and top it off with 1010 Chinking. Does this sound reasonable?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1