Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #1

Share |

How to even this brick/concrete wall

Hi all,

We've recently bought this house and would like to redo the basement, and I'm looking forward to doing most of it myself where possible .

First thing, how do I go about evening out this brick wall. We haven't decided if we'll hang drywall on it yet.

Thank you in advance.
DIYNorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

Whats up. Here's an idea. Would be just to add Drywall over it. You might want to try smoothing it over with stucco mix, then when that dries, put the drywall over it carefully. You may want to Hilti some small 1/4 holes into the brick, then you can use Anchor bolts. Or use some kind of special Concrete adhesive with the bolts to make sure the drywall stays on the brick wall.
Here's another idea For areas that have a deep depression you may want to consider cutting a piece of wood 1in. x 1in. thick, use whatever length you need and shoot it into the brick or Hilti some holes so you can use anchor bolts, framing it how ever, so you can follow up with the drywall. To me that would be the quickest, inexpensive way of doing it. I would also add some bugspray to what ever your covering up, so bugs dont make a home in there.
evol200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #3

First off,,,IF those are single pane basement windows,,,go buy some double pane ones at the big box stores if you have to and replace those. THEN run electrical outlets wherever you think you MAY ever want one,,,properly,,, then stud the wall even laying them flat if you want,,,so that 2" foam lays in there real nice(3" is better yet)(for basements it doesnt get yucky like fiberglass does) ,,,oh and dont forget to put a poly vaor in there too,,,they discuss that aspect here regularly. Energy aint gettin no cheaper and LONG term your savings may be HUGE!!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:42 AM   #4

I would not frame anything tight against those existing foundation walls. Before beginning any finishing work, make sure the walls are in good condition and don't have any moisture problems.

I would frame a stud wall set in about 1" from the bottom of the foundation wall. Frame a conventional stud wall - fasten the top plate to the bottom of the wood joists. If your wall runs parellel to the framing, add some perpendicular blocking to the joists to give you something to fasten to. To fasten the bottm plate, you can drill through the stud into the floor and use concrete screws (Tapcons). Measure each wall stud as the floor will probably have some slope to it, so all the measurements might not be the same.

If you try to attach anything directly to those walls, they will never be plumb.

Lowes has a good right up with pictures in the "How To Library" section of their website. Look under "dividing a room".
Old 11-30-2008, 07:58 AM   #5

First I would want to know how the weaping system is working?what is the history of water problems and moisture ?if all that checks out ok then consider framing but not till moisture problems are fixed .It is never a good idea to frame over a moisture problem it only leads to mold!!
the trick is to frame everything off the foundation meaning don't let wood touch concreate.Use black plastic sill barrier so that the wood doesn't touch the concrete .I always put a double sill plate so as the addition of a sub floor like"dri-core" can be installed and still plenty to fasten drywall too the top plate is not nessisary to be doubled up if it carries no load!keep the walls out from the foundation and have spray foam installed as insulation and vappour barrier .it may be slightly more expensive to insulate this way but you will love the differance it makes to the dampness of a basement.update all windows and frame it then call for foam spray ,then you can drywall strait over .sorry for the mass of run on sentences but let me know how you make out!
Orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

before starting any work, do some moisture tests,,, i see some evidence on the stone wall cove & also on the brick wall that not all's watertite including the corner where they join.

if it were mine, i'd also ck the floor in several places,,, traditionally, floors were not poured as thick as today,,, we didn't know then what we do today about conc.

may only be my monitor but your basement 'redo' has the look of not ever being done previously.

pressure treated wood on the btm,,, window replacement's never going to be done at an easier time than now,,, good luck & keep us informed.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #7

just noticed something in pic! Is that asbestos pipe wrap?don't touch it !have a company come and check it! unless of coarse you installed it yourself and know it's not asbestos, that stuff is deadly if it is ,have it professionally removed!stay healthy and enjoy your home!!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

It appears that that foundation is over 100 years old. Yes check and fix the moisture problem, with these old foundations of brick there is always a problem with moisture. also the window wall !it appears that the top is leaning out, looking at the bottom and eyeing it up it appears that way. I don't think they plumbed the wall when they installed the brick. so expect to have a deep window jamb in this area, if I'm right. Good luck with your project BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #9

the caution about asbestos should not be taken lightly,,, however, that being said, you, as the homeowner, can/may encapsulate it,,, even believe you can remove it but, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, its not recommended,,, you could play w/rattlesnakes forever & not get bitten but they've got all the odds on their side,,, just like w/terrorists, we have to defeat them EVERY time; they only have to succeed once !
yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #10

just my opinion, however , I did try something simular and it turned into a short heighted ,small roomed ,money pit. I would advise you to clean up good ,patch any holes and give a good thick coat of drylock, and use as is . save your money ! once again this is my opinion.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #11

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I've uploaded more pictures to show what I'm dealing with:

http://s195057977.onlinehome.us/home...basement1.html

As far as the tape goes, it's not asbestos but rather insulation for the pipe.

The house is almost 90 years old, and nothing was done in the basement before it seems like. Also, it appears that part of the foundation was just laid using just concrete and rocks and the rest using brick (weird), and hence it's more larger near one side and the bottom.

Ideally I'd like to get the wall ready to put up drywall.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #12

good to see its foil back wrap on that pipeing!you really don't have much choice but to frame it out from that wall ,insulate , vapor barrier and drywall then.unless you step the wall?maybe build in shelving?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #13

You have ALL given great suggestions.

Point of clarification I did NOT suggest putting the studs ON the wall,,,I meant spaced out LIKE many other threads on this site suggests.

Those extra pics sure make that windpw look like single pane window,,,changing that AFTER the rest of the job makes MUCH harder work.

NOW,,,,I see the far window like thing in original post,,,looks like its an OLD 'coal chute'..."GENERALLY" these arent used and serve NO purpose since we dont 'stoke' our furnaces no more. SAME advice as rest of thread,,,brick it up,,,remove opening ,,,OR put a double pane window in there too. (its the far opening in op)

Maybe THIS question should have been first. How tall is the propoed ceiling height in this room??? Less than 7 feet?? maybe NOT worth it. 8 foot tall or more,,it will make okay rooms,,,IF their size is adequate. otherwise probably NOT worth all the time and effort,,,,just cause you CAN,,,doesnt mean you get a return on investmnt!!! "IF" you need permits etc. to do this,,,they probably arent going to approve them with 6 foot or 6 1/2 foot ceilings,period!!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #14

The ceiling is slightly over 7 feet tall, and a return on investment is not my primary driver here as I'm not planning on selling the house any time soon.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 AM   #15

norb, another system we used successfully many times in nj was based on fiber-reinforced plastic ( frp ) panels,,, as i recall, they came in 8 colors incl white featuring a track system w/stand-offs for mounting against irregular walls,,, might try locating some of that,,, iirc, it was comparable to drywall in cost yet much more suitable in higher humidity environments.

not ' concrete and rocks ' but MORTAR and stone,,, nothing unusual about your foundation to me.
yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote