How Do You Fire A Contractor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

how do you fire a contractor

When we started this reno over 2 years ago it was going to be done in 6 weeks, 2 months tops. Said no problem we will do things as you want them. What little he has done has been has been done contrary to instructions. Window flashing?? are you kidding me? we dont flash windows ever,,,and we dont even caulk them cause thats what the nailing fin is for.

Moving a door over 3 feet to comply with code inspection dude was last straw,,,he took a perfectly not very old door and beat it to pieces trying to put it in a too small crooked hole he framed and drove 12 p nails to fix it when it didnt work right,,,said old door was a piece of junk and wouldnt finish. Nothing he did was ever finnished. 2 years later and still in studs.

My question is if he asked for money for materials and didnt buy any,and converted that money to all his labor in advance,,,how do I get my money back.?

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
When we started this reno over 2 years ago it was going to be done in 6 weeks, 2 months tops. Said no problem we will do things as you want them. What little he has done has been has been done contrary to instructions. Window flashing?? are you kidding me? we dont flash windows ever,,,and we dont even caulk them cause thats what the nailing fin is for.

Moving a door over 3 feet to comply with code inspection dude was last straw,,,he took a perfectly not very old door and beat it to pieces trying to put it in a too small crooked hole he framed and drove 12 p nails to fix it when it didnt work right,,,said old door was a piece of junk and wouldnt finish. Nothing he did was ever finnished. 2 years later and still in studs.

My question is if he asked for money for materials and didnt buy any,and converted that money to all his labor in advance,,,how do I get my money back.?
Do you have a contract and permits?

Advertisement

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Do you have a contract and permits?
I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer. As for the OP's question, call the idiot up and tell him not to come back.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

Permits only last 6 months around here. Can't see this guy being licensed, insured or competant. Two years of crap from this guy. You should have jettisoned him after 6 weeks.
Do you have any sort of contract ?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer. As for the OP's question, call the idiot up and tell him not to come back.

OP is probably screwed then.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

If you paid the person for work not done then you will have a hard time getting money from him, I would doubt he is licenced from what you have said but you could start with the state board of contractors they usually want to find crooks.
A permit has to have an inspection called within 6 months or it gets cancelled. I have inspected calls where the person would call in a frame inspection without being complete just to keep the permit active. I have also built jobs that took over a year to complete due to size and never had to get an extension.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 526

yes its inspected and permitted.

Contract signed says will do EVERYTHING necessary to complete house labor wise. Materials extra, electrical extra to be billed separately. So far had to redo the window installs. Correcting when he typared the house when sheathing was incomplete and nails and screws sticking thru typar cause too lazy to pull a small nail. Resheathed roof and full shingle replacement. new soffits on new overhangs and rakes built by me. Siding installed on 3 sides and soon pending fourth side if bricklayer would get his bricks laid he promised in April!!!!

Everything he has done has been a trainwreck and need to take back out and redo. I guess he did prop up the roof to straighten 'some' and build the center support wall in new basement. New steps are all different heights,,,dont know how to figure that out yet.

Back to original deal. they go by their 'last name' repair. Both father and son same name. When signing contract both were there. Father quoted price,,,contract signed,,,father basicly disappears and turns it over to idiot son. Sometimes when he was there worked half hour and needed pop or cigerettes, gone hour,,,back half hour, need something, gone never comes back. When called alot of days it was my wife is sick and has to go to doc far away,,,kids sick ,I cant work,,,my shoulders are sore I cant work for couple weeks etc constantly...or its too hot,,,too cold too windy,,too muddy.

Dad is upstanding guy from past years,,,apparently this acorn rolled along way from the tree.

When I had to go out of town on business for a month he promised it will be almost done when you get home,,,but need materials money. I gave him a sizable check for what I thought materials would cost equal roughly to the balance of his labor bill. When I got home not a soul ever worked on house,,,same as when I left. When asked where my money was said had some expenses need paid and he used the material money for labor advance. He doesnt have any interest in finishing as promised cause he gets no money for that,,,he is now too busy with paying jobs.

Its that unapproved conversion that bothers me,,,,accepted his promises and excuses for awhile,,, but now getting ridiculous.

So no I didnt advance more than a small percentage for labor,,,but he found a way to get his share,,,altho I think that was illegal conversion.

what recourse do I have? How do you get blood out of a turnip???
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
yes its inspected and permitted.

Contract signed says will do EVERYTHING necessary to complete house labor wise. Materials extra, electrical extra to be billed separately. So far had to redo the window installs. Correcting when he typared the house when sheathing was incomplete and nails and screws sticking thru typar cause too lazy to pull a small nail. Resheathed roof and full shingle replacement. new soffits on new overhangs and rakes built by me. Siding installed on 3 sides and soon pending fourth side if bricklayer would get his bricks laid he promised in April!!!!

Everything he has done has been a trainwreck and need to take back out and redo. I guess he did prop up the roof to straighten 'some' and build the center support wall in new basement. New steps are all different heights,,,dont know how to figure that out yet.

Back to original deal. they go by their 'last name' repair. Both father and son same name. When signing contract both were there. Father quoted price,,,contract signed,,,father basicly disappears and turns it over to idiot son. Sometimes when he was there worked half hour and needed pop or cigerettes, gone hour,,,back half hour, need something, gone never comes back. When called alot of days it was my wife is sick and has to go to doc far away,,,kids sick ,I cant work,,,my shoulders are sore I cant work for couple weeks etc constantly...or its too hot,,,too cold too windy,,too muddy.

Dad is upstanding guy from past years,,,apparently this acorn rolled along way from the tree.

When I had to go out of town on business for a month he promised it will be almost done when you get home,,,but need materials money. I gave him a sizable check for what I thought materials would cost equal roughly to the balance of his labor bill. When I got home not a soul ever worked on house,,,same as when I left. When asked where my money was said had some expenses need paid and he used the material money for labor advance. He doesnt have any interest in finishing as promised cause he gets no money for that,,,he is now too busy with paying jobs.

Its that unapproved conversion that bothers me,,,,accepted his promises and excuses for awhile,,, but now getting ridiculous.

So no I didnt advance more than a small percentage for labor,,,but he found a way to get his share,,,altho I think that was illegal conversion.

what recourse do I have? How do you get blood out of a turnip???
I don't want to be rud but what are you doing??? Don't feel bad for this person get rid of him. The contract is not good. Look what he is doing. the contract is void when he doesn't do the work right and on time. Fire this fellow and tell him to sue you if he get in your face. Nothing is done right. I don't know what has taken this long to get rid of this so called worker ???? i said enough
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,022

I believe you can get a lien put on his property for the amount of the contract that you've paid but hasn't been satisfied. Likely means a trip to court but that's the way justice system works.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

What state are you in?

Advertisement