Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

How do you add a front porch?

My house has a small front deck (built poorly by previous owner). I can tell that there use to be a front porch, and I know where it use to connect to the building. I'd like to install a new front porch, and I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. I'm a pretty handy DIY'er, not an expert by any means. I've built decks before so I know how to do that much, but I've never had to run the posts up to support a roof. How do you attach the roof to the existing structure? Do I have to remove just enough siding to get a ledger board up there, or should I take off the siding down to the porch joists? Would you build your own trusses, or do you recommend buying them? Or should I just cut my own rafters with a bird's mouth cut and rest them on the ledger at the top of the posts. I have a pretty good idea how to do the flashing where the new roof meets the siding, but feel free to offer any comments you think might be useful. Thanks.

Last edited by gshock; 08-06-2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typos
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Restorations

Send a message via Yahoo to Pennyroyal's

You should add some pics of the job before expecting any educated guesses...Joe.

Pennyroyal's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyroyal's View Post
You should add some pics of the job before expecting any educated guesses...Joe.
As soon as I'm able to, I will.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Mechanical Engineer

As requested, pics of the house. You can see where the siding texture changes just below the 2nd floor windows. In the second photo, you can see where the old handrails use to tie into the building.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Restorations

Send a message via Yahoo to Pennyroyal's

you will need to tear off the existing, leaving the existing board at the house. It appears to be the ledger and continuous. Sink 2 6x6 10' treated at the outside corners of the new depth and width making sure to align and measure exactly to they are square with the house. Install support short posts (below deck level)at intervals to support the porch and go ahead and install a couple 6x6 full 10' ht where your stairs will decend to support the continuous header. Put these posts in concrete at least to the frost line and on a solid base in the hole of pre poured concrete.
Install a 2x10 bandboard at the bottom ht about 2" below your door threshold all the way around the perimeter, flash the ledger at the house to keep water from going down the wall and onto the top of the old ledger, you will probably have to remove one course of that siding to do this properly. and by the way...if that is asbestos you may need to get it removed professionally. It is not ok to nail into it, it is to brittle.
after the bandboard is in lay out your 2x treated joists and install with joist hangers.
Install your decking material....
when you get that done write back in. Joe.
Pennyroyal's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Mechanical Engineer

Thanks, Joe. My questions on "How to ... " are centered more toward the roof. I agree with, and understand everything you said regarding the foundation of the deck, flashing, etc. But how would YOU build the roof? I could buy roof trusses, or make my own. What's your preference? How much overhang?

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #7

You set two more ledger boards on the house. One for the roof joists and one for the porch ceiling joists. I'd stick build the ceiling joists from 2x6's and the roof joists from 2x8's if the roof cord length is less then 10 '.
You don't mention how deep the floor will be. The deeper the floor ,the beefier the joists.
I'd limit the overhang to 12-15" at most (with 2x6's).
This is just a vague overview. The actual joists will depend on the size and design of the porch and the roof.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #8

Guaranteed, hand framing will be cheaper than trusses especially since you obviously have the basics down. I've found Trusses rarley work in a case like this. (It's easy to draw on paper, but only works under perfect conditions.)

Unless you want a shed roof you will have to Hip the porch. Hips are cake, in your case just measure how far out from the house the porch comes and make your hips go toward the center an equal amount.

If you Hip you will have to have headers on all three sides. Chances are you can get hangers to attach to you house to carry the perpendicular load.

jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote