Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How do I secure deck railings between posts

I'm replacing the posts on my deck. The previous posts were cut and hung on the outside of the fascia board. For the new railings, I've cut the deck and installed them on the inside of the fascia board.

I'm trying too figure out the best way to run the railings. I'd like to mount them between the posts rather than on the front or back. Wondering the best way to do that.

I've seen the little black Deckorators brackets, but they seem expensive, and wondering if there's a better way.

Thanks,

Mike

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 506

Well, here's how I did it. This may not be the "right" way to do it, but its a couple years old and hasn't fallen down.

We just cut the bars to length and screwed them all into the back side of that 2x4, then screwed it to the top of the porch. That's 1/4 round on either side of it, which you can't see because the non-working rope lights are in the way.

We then screwed it straight down from the top railing, but if you don't want a bunch of screws on top, I suppose you could do 2x4s on both sides. And no, we don't own stock in a 1/4 round company.

Hope this helps a little. My dad and I were "carpentarily challenged" and its been pretty solid for about 7 years, so we must've done something right.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Or you could nail a 2"x4" flat between the posts on the outer edge. Nail/screw the balusters (pickets) to the 2"x4" and down through the top. Keep it a couple of inches up off the deck so you can sweep leaves under. (I didn't do mine that way and wish now I had.)
Old 05-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Most handrails have a groove along the bottom. If yours doesn't, you can route a small section on the bottom... and also on the end that goes against the post... to allow a small "L" bracket to inset there on the end.

Screw the "L" bracket to the post first, then set the handrail down on the bracket, and screw up from underneath into the bottom of the handrail.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I secure deck railings between posts-handrail-attachment.jpg  
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 154

Here's 2 photos of what we did for a deck railing. It's a bit like bjbatlanta suggested.

One shows deck and railing, the other shows how we "jigged" to create the railings.

We built the railing, 2x4 PT and 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 pickets. Spaced pickets so we had 1 at each end, then equally spaced the remainder. We're in Ontario Canada and space between pickets must be < 4 ". The pickets are screwed from below and top thru the 2x4s. We added a finish nail to prevent pickets from turning. Also added a piece of 2x4 on edge beneath the rail section to keep it 3 1/2 in above the deck to allow removal of leaves etc. We screwed thru the end pickets to hold rail sections to the posts. Over the top of the rail sections we add 5/4 x6 PT.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I secure deck railings between posts-dscf1579.jpg   How do I secure deck railings between posts-dscf1582.jpg  

Last edited by orange; 05-02-2009 at 06:58 PM.
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

tigereye.....go to home depot and purchase a deck building book. Between the covers you'll find a wealth of information. If Mort had, his balusters would be spaced properly. And if orange had, he would be supporting his deck with concrete footers. Please, build it right the first time....other peoples safety is at stake.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

12penny is right,the new B&D book has the updated 09 codes,I just built my first deck and the book saved me more then a couple times..

gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Gotboost, those posts look too high or is it me? Looks like you used the 48" post ( stair rails ) instead of the 38"s ( hand rails ) but if thats what you like . . .
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
tigereye.....go to home depot and purchase a deck building book. Between the covers you'll find a wealth of information. If Mort had, his balusters would be spaced properly.
Seven years and zero deaths, can't argue with that kind of success.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
It's a matter of building to Code
They are too far apart
No-one complains until there is a death
At which point it is too late
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
no...but I can with that kind of thought process. Codes, specificaly the baluster spacing section, were written to protect those two little people pictured in your avatar. Maybe its just me, but I'd lose sleep at night praying for 8. Good luck to you and yours.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
no...but I can with that kind of thought process. Codes, specificaly the baluster spacing section, were written to protect those two little people pictured in your avatar. Maybe its just me, but I'd lose sleep at night praying for 8. Good luck to you and yours.
Agreed. The baluster spacing is important for the little ones running around grab-a$$-ing on the deck ... they fall, get their head stuck between the balusters and *crack* ... broken neck.

(shudder)

I'm certainly no one to give anyone advice, but intuitively ... dude ... fix those balusters ... seriously.

I'm helping some friends of mine do a deck, and on the deck they have a stairway (4 steps) leading up to the edge of an above-ground pool. I begged them to put rails on it, but they insist they don't want them, and I cringe when I look at it. I want to sneak over there some night and put them on. Maybe I'm just overly-safety conscious
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #13

You know, I always knew it was to keep kids heads out
But I was thinking more of getting stuck
The broken kneck issue is something I had not considered
The way my kid & others rough house that is a serious possibility
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm doing hand rails on my deck right now and our 'code' requires that a 4" sphere cannot pass through any opening on the guard!
The top rail must be 42" high if there's a lower rail to stand on.
If seating is part of the guard, it must be 35" above the seat.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
World's Tallest Midget

Boy, I didn't realize my house was such a death trap

And seriously, I didn't post that to get a lecture. I just tried to answer a different question, and get a bunch of flack. I guess I won't be doing that anymore...