Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

How do I Prevent Flooding

A previous owner had built a brick planter along a back bedroom and affixed it to my townhouse with concrete. My first winter here I had severe flooding along the seam where the wall meets the concrete slab floor. A landscaper drilled holes through the planter and lined it. I had more flooding during later heavy rainstorms. I hired another landscaper to redo my yard and asked her to remove the garden bed, but she said it would create even more problems for me since it was attached with concrete. When I cover the garden bed with plastic tarp prior to a rainstorm I do not get flooding, however, I do not always keep up with the weather reports, and since small rainstorms do not cause a problem, only the major ones, I do not want to keep it covered throughout the winter. Is there someway I can peel back the carpet and seal this seam so that the water does not come flooding in?
Kerry A.

KerryA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kerry, welcome to the forum

I believe that sealing up the problem on the outside would be a much better solution than trying to caulk up a crack from the inside.

Can you take a photo of your setup and post it here?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryA. View Post
A previous owner had built a brick planter along a back bedroom and affixed it to my townhouse with concrete. My first winter here I had severe flooding along the seam where the wall meets the concrete slab floor. A landscaper drilled holes through the planter and lined it. I had more flooding during later heavy rainstorms. I hired another landscaper to redo my yard and asked her to remove the garden bed, but she said it would create even more problems for me since it was attached with concrete. When I cover the garden bed with plastic tarp prior to a rainstorm I do not get flooding, however, I do not always keep up with the weather reports, and since small rainstorms do not cause a problem, only the major ones, I do not want to keep it covered throughout the winter. Is there someway I can peel back the carpet and seal this seam so that the water does not come flooding in?
Kerry A.
The solution is to keep the water out in the first place, not allow it so close that sealing the basement perimeter is the only option.
If you want to keep the planter, install copper flashing into the house and the two short sides of the planter. This would be at the bottom of the planter. Groove out the planter base at the bottom so the copper flashing runs under the front of the planter. Seal all the tops of the copper so water can't get behind it. Open every mortar joint at the bottom of the planter so the water can escape.
If the water is accessing the house through the planter, this should eliminate water from getting in next to the foundation.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,174

not really sure i understand this but the planter MAY NOT be attached to the home UNLESS it was done by the original builder,,, therefore its removeable by a knowledgeable conc sawyer,,, many landscapers still don't realize water runs downhill from what i've seen.

however, be that as it may, there's NOTHING that will prevent water from entering your very fine home when its applied from the inside,,, even if it did/could, water'll STILL enter to the sealant's location causing hidden damage.

still don't understand why proper lining of the planter w/correct & appropriate mtl along w/drains didn't resolve the issue,,, must've been another landscaper, huh ? ? ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #5

A pic of the planter/problem are might help
Do you have gutters up & not dumping water into the planter ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #6

we don' need no steenking pictures sometimes the bes' advise don' always work but we can't see your house from our house,,, comprende ? ? ?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

"A landscaper drilled holes through the planter." Probably not large enough holes, and not enough holes to allow the proper amount of water out during an event. As posted: proper lining and proper drainage will/should stop this problem. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #8

You can't just drill holes in the bottom to let the water out. Unless you put gravel on the bottom covered over with a landscape cloth, the dirt will clog the holes.
If your landscaper is like mine, he's just a grass cutter and would have absolutly no idea how to fix the problem.
You'd have more success asking the garden gnome for his advice.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #9

ron, 1 of our recent calls gave the waterproofing job to his landscaper who convinced him he just needed some fill against the bsmt wall,,, since the aforementioned landscaper already had a relationship w/said h/o, he got the job,,, need i mention his price was 10% of ours ? ? ?

turns out the ' fill ' was crushed stone now the h/o has to pay again - us to do the work right --- while the landscaper shrugs'd his shoulders come to think of it, i should follow the landscaper all around his route