How Do I *not* Mangle Polyiso Panels When I Pull Vinyl Siding For Insulation Blow? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

How do I *not* mangle polyiso panels when I pull vinyl siding for insulation blow?

Anybody have any tricks for pulling some courses of vinyl siding without mangling either the vinyl or the underlying polyiso foam panels? The foam is only 1/2" and was laid on top of old clabboards.

backstory..... wall cavities are empty. prior owner put on a layer of polyiso and then the vinyl. No tape, no caulk, no house wrap to keep water from getting in between the panel edges. (are you suppposed to leave gaps to let vapor out? But what about covering the gaps to keep bulk water from getting in?) No drainage plain behind the foam to let water that does get back there run down the outside of the clapboards. Basically ignored doors and windows, so you see the polyiso between the edge of the old trim and the backside of the jchannel. I shudder to think what sort of moisture/mold I may find in there, but its time to go looking.

Thanks for sharing ideas for taking off some vinyl without mangling either the vinyl or the foam

Advertisement

steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

How do I *not* mangle polyiso panels when I pull vinyl siding for insulation blow?

one of these

http://www.drillspot.com/products/49...moval_tool?s=1

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #3

That works for unhooking the bottom, Tom, but I was really thinking about dealing with the nails.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveel View Post
That works for unhooking the bottom, Tom, but I was really thinking about dealing with the nails.
The nails will be sitting proud of the surface and should come out with a pry bar. Put a wood shingle or other piece of wood where the prybar hits the house to minimize crushing the foam.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
steveel (10-10-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #5

if you pull the panel down slightly,then up you can actually ''unhook'' the panels right off the nails,then just tap the nails to the foam,no holes no damage
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
steveel (10-10-2010)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #6

Thanks Tom, Thanks Ron. Getting into the wall wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. I think I was just hung up on fear of what I'll find when I start investigating this:

Before the Blow: Assessing DIY siding job before insulating

Advertisement