How Do I Locate The Ceiling Joists ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How do I locate the ceiling joists ?

Hi,

I am about to install a lowered ceiling to allow for a vent to be routed from a room at the front of my flat (ground floor) to the external wall at the back.

Can anyone tell me how I locate the ceiling joists in order that I can screw the head plate to the existing ceiling ?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Blainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Depends on how old the house is.
If possible, check the attic. If it's a lower floor without an attic above it....

Since you are planning on installing a new "lowered ceiling", just cut out a 1'x1' section of the ceiling, find the joists visually, and then assume it is spaced 16" oc - Try and see if that is the correct spacing of the joists by drilling in long screws and see if you hit the joists. Mark the ceiling out as you find them.

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Sometimes you can get on a ladder with a flashlight. Hold the flashlight against the ceiling horizontally. so the light shines across the entire ceiling. This will highlight sags especially on a plaster ceiling. (If you have drywall, a stud finder should work fine) The joists will show up as shaded stripes. If they dont show up, try it in the perpendicular direction. It will require a helper to mark where you tell them while you hold the light. This will allow you to mark the joist locations with SOME accuracy. After you mark the approximate locations, take a drill with a small drill bit and find the centers of the joists by drilling holes until you feel the edge of the joist then drill till you find the other edge, them mark half way between. If you are certain that your joists are 1 and a half inches wide you can cut out part of this process and just mark three quarters of an inch from the first edge you find.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

How high is the ceiling from the floor?
Is it possible to 'box-in' your vent and not lower the entire ceiling?
Make it look like a nice big old surport beam or something. Otherwise your in for a big job unless you could hang a phoney pannel type ceiling.
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote