Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

Share |

How do I level my concrete floor?

Before I install my ceramic tiles, I need to level an area of my basement floor.

The area has a drain trap in the middle and it slops down. I would have to raise it approx. 2 inches at the highest point, covering a radius of approx. 8 feet.

Of course I have never done this before. Do I use self levelling compound, or I have a product that I have used called self bonding concrete? Which is a powder that I mix with water.

What would be the easiest way for me to do this. Of course, I have to get rid of the paint that is on there right now.

Thanks.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #2

what part of the floor are you trying to level, the drain area?

fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

The area that I am trying to level just happens to have a drain right in the middle of it. I am refinishing the basement and eventually installing tiles.

Therefore, I would also have to raise the drain trap two inches as I cannot get rid of that drain, I have to keep it there.

So, I guess I am really asking two questions. How do I level the concrete and how do I raise the drain trap. Is that what its called a drain trap?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #4

If you raise the floor drain by 2 inches, ( at the risk of sounding arrogant) then, how will any water go down it? Just a thought. If you wish to level the concrete and raise the drain this is how I would go about doing it. First remove the drain grate from the floor. Get an inside dimension of the existing pipe and install an extension of pipe into it ( ABS is the standard type of pipe for this application) and a new grate to the height you want. Both will have to be cleaned using a primer and glued in place using ABS glue. This can be purchased from any hardware store. Now that you have the new drain in and set to your desired height, you can start with leveling the floor. Determine how far out from your new drain you need to go to achieve a level floor. This will help you determine how much leveling compound you will need. Once that is established I would mix my compound and place on floor. I am assuming that the paint on the floor has been removed and the floor is clean and dry. Depending on the brand of compound used, some ask for a bonding agent while others do not. I suggest you check with place of purchase. Also if there are any cracks in the existing floor you will want to fill and seal those as well or it could very well be a problem later on. Hope I have not made this sound too complicated, just I am tired right now and .....well ....hope this all makes sense. Any other questions I will answer tomorrow.

cheers
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #5

Fixrite, your instructions are great and I understand them completely.
Thank you very much.

Yes, I do realize that I have to slop it in order for the water to drain in.
There is also another drain in the area nearby that slops slightly and I can live with that, but this one has a significant slop so I wanted to level it so that the slop is not as big, as this is the area that I will be putting a couch and TV.

I just checked the drain tube (? is that what it is called) and there is no visible tube that I would attach an extension to, after removing the grate. All there is, is cement on the sides for about 5 inches down and then there is what sounds to me when I tap on it like steel or possibly clay. (There are old foundations to the house) approx 60 years old.

So now I have no idea on how to extend it, as I also thought that there was a plastic drain pipe.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #6

a 60 year old house should still have pipes, although they just might be clay. Wether it is steel or clay I think it should be done right. It most likely will involve removing the concrete around the drain and doing a repair to the pipe. I would suggest that if you don't feel comfy with that to call a plumber. If you would like to tackle it on your own, I will walk you through the repair.

cheers
Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #7

What I was thinking of doing was purchasing a plastic pipe that is the size of the drain hole, put it in there as a "mold" and then do my levelling with the concrete and then remove it.

Then I would end up with exactly what is there now, which is cement only a couple of inches taller.

What do you think?

I don't know if I am explaining correctly.

If you can picture a cement hole approx. 4 inches in diameter. That is what is there now.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #8

For a simple drain, you should be able to use fernco fittings. They are a rubber gasket with a stainless steel exterior you screw tight against the two surfaces. You just need to have the two outer diameters of the pipe relatively close. If it's 4" it's probably cast iron. A length of PVC pipe would do it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #9

Thanks Ron.

I was thinking of purchasing a Pvc pipe and putting that in. I hope that will work.

All I really need is just an extra 2 inches to stick up so that I can put the grate back on.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #10

Also, Ron, you are correct, it is cast iron.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #11

Self leveling cement is not that difficult to use, however you must move fast. READ the instructions and use the primer. This stuff sets up quick. So some help would be in order.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #12

Thanks Mop.

I wonder if there is some other type of compound that would give me more time and I would not have to prime?

I have a small bucket of self-bonding cement that I have used. I wonder if I can use that too?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #13

The self leveling stuff is just about idiot proof. The primer is just a milky white soltuion that goes on with a roller is a few minutes. You then mix the leveling compound to the consistancy of pancake batter. In your case you would pour it in a circle around the drain and let it build up to the level you want.
For a 2" build up you will need quite a few of these containers. Your trick will be to be able to mix one container after the other to keep the pour as continuous as possible. The batch before shouldn't dry out too much if possible before you pour the next batch. If you get tired, stop the process and start again tomorrow. You just might need to prime again. Look on the container for the directions.
When you get to the last batch, feather the edges with a taping knife to take off the ridge.
I use one of those drywall mixers you put on a drill. It makes short work of the process.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #14

heres an easy one for you. Break up the cement around the drain. Cut or snap existing drain pipe and extend same to desired level. Dont cheat.

For the floor make a mud mix of just portland cement and clean sand. The ratio is 5:1 sand to cement. Mix it with very little water. Just enough to make it clump together when you squeeze it. Apply a cement to cement adehesive to the existing floor, pour on the mud and level out. Next day, put down the tiles. Grout. yada yada yada

Done..

Next
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #15

Thanks for everyones help.

Ron: I was wondering if I can do a bit every day. I need to lift it approx. 1 1/2 inches as I still want a little slop.

Would I be able to pour some one day and then feather it out, and then another day I can do another "layer"?

Do you think this would work? Also, what primer do I need to use? What is it called? I have some cement that I have used in the past, and it is "self bonding cement." Is there a self bonding levelling compound?

Thanks for your help.