Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How Do I Insulate This?

I have taken out old insulation, vapor barrier and sheetrock in an area of my basement where I had some moisture issues this fall (small sump pump failure, some walls were damp when I pulled away old insulation, some insulation was a little wet). I have let the area dry really well, bleack cleaned the walls and now I am ready to start in with the project. The walls are framed out as shown in the picture below. My questions are:

1. Vapor Barrier? There was previously a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation between the insulation and the sheetrock. DO I stick with this: brick basement wall-insulation-vaporbarrier-sheetrock? Or go to...brick basement wall-vapor barrier - insulation - sheetrock? I am not sure on the exterior of the foundation in terms of other insulation. Can I use 6 mil poly for the barrier or should i move to rigid foam insulation? If rigid foam, then how to I retro fit based on the fact that my basement is already framed out?

2. The second picture shows you a space between the foundation and joist ends. The previous owner stuffed some hand filler insulation up there. It appears to have gotten wet over the years (brown/black marks and graying). Is ther a better way to insulate this area? I thought about 3 inch rigid pin isulation, foamboard caulk and great stuff. Any other ideas based on the picture?

3. Dry Lok? Should I use a masonary paint such as dry lok to help wioth the vapor barrier issue and potential moisture issue?
Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Insulate This?-dsc03042.jpg   How Do I Insulate This?-dsc03043.jpg  

livinginthepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #2

How Do I Insulate This?

Anyone have any ideas about whether or not to use a vapor barrier on this project?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

How Do I Insulate This?

Are your studs placed up against the wall or is there a proper airspace behind them?
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #4

How Do I Insulate This?

Rivethead - There is about a 1-2" gap between the framing and the brick wall. Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

How Do I Insulate This?

The insulation at the top of the wall just looks dusty to me from air filtration. Pull some of it out and see if it's damp. If you replace it - don't pack it in too tightly or you lose your insulation effectiveness. (why don't we see a sill plate in your photo of that area?) I wouldn't try great stuff - you really have to use that product with care due to over expansion.

Is the wall is showing you that it has a current moisture issue. Any good rains since you took the wall down. If it's not staying damp I'd do drylok oil based or the drylok "extreme" latex. Insulate with kraft faced fiberglass and hang my drywall. Make sure the insulation depth allows for a clear airspace behind the wall.

Make sure your gutters are clean and the ground is properly sloped away from the house.
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote