Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Token Canadian

Share |

How do I insulate THIS?!?!

Hey guys. I was insulating my headers in the basement, and I have gotten about 85% done. It is MUCH easier than I thought it would be..... Until now..

The spots where I had 15" centers were no problem. (North and South sides of the house) Cut and Stuff. However, the East and West side of the house seem to be a bit harder. Since the joists run North/South, I have no issue there. However, how do I go about insulating the flat joists that are running the length of the East/West side of the basement?? There are no easy 15" centers there!

Here is a pic: (It was too large, so I hosted it.. 56K - NO!)

http://www.londongolfers.com/forums/...insulation.jpg

Do you see the top right of that picture? That is the East Wall. The long piece of wood running at the top right is the joist. For some reason, the people that owned the house prior to my wife and myself made a false wall that gives me that 16" space you see there. They stuffed the inside of the false wall with some sort of insulation pictured in the left of that pic.

I would ASSume the quick and dirty way here is to expandable foam the living hell out of that crack at the bottom of the joist?

Any help here is appreciated, guys!

(IT may be placebo, however I think I notice a large difference in the temperature of the basement already with only 85% done! That last 15 feet is the only thing I have left! Then the vapor barrier work begins.

Thanks again!
Matt

Last edited by M_Portiss; 02-06-2008 at 06:10 PM.
M_Portiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #2

Easy. Cut long pieces of R10 pink foamboard to fit there. Nail in place with washer headed nails. Foam the long crack closed and then foam all around the nailed in foamboard including any seams. Btw, that insulation in the false wall isnt doing a thing for insulating but you knew that.

jaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Token Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw22 View Post
Easy. Cut long pieces of R10 pink foamboard to fit there. Nail in place with washer headed nails. Foam the long crack closed and then foam all around the nailed in foamboard including any seams. Btw, that insulation in the false wall isnt doing a thing for insulating but you knew that.
Fair enough. Thanks! Should I worry about insulating the actual foundation, or should I only worry about above the front line?

Actually, I had no idea that the existing stuff was worthless. Thanks for that. Now I can take it and use it in other places!
M_Portiss is offline   Reply With Quote