Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How do I install a window

I bought a custom casement window (with ALL installation and adjustment hardware) from Home Depot.

I hate to ask a stupid question but I how do I remove the old window (just a standard wooden window (29x41 first floor).

And how do I install this new one. Any help is appreciated.

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #2

You kinda got the cart in front of the horse.

Is this a new construction window or a replacement window? By that I don't mean is this new construction or not - I mean what type of window did you buy? Does it have nail flanges, or was it meant to use the existing window jamb? Tell us exactly what window you bought (manufacturer and model).

If new construction window what is the current rough opening of your window and how did you determine it? What is the RO requirement for the new window?

What kind of siding do you have around the window? What kind of millwork and sill do you have on the inside?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
You kinda got the cart in front of the horse.

Is this a new construction window or a replacement window? By that I don't mean is this new construction or not - I mean what type of window did you buy? Does it have nail flanges, or was it meant to use the existing window jamb? Tell us exactly what window you bought (manufacturer and model).

If new construction window what is the current rough opening of your window and how did you determine it? What is the RO requirement for the new window?

What kind of siding do you have around the window? What kind of millwork and sill do you have on the inside?
Sorry, replacement window. It comes with it's own hardware for mounting so no it doesn't use the existing jamb. It's brick/block all the way around.
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #4

Every replacement window I've seen uses the existing old jamb and slides inside of it after removing the old stops - unless I'm using the wrong window terminology. Otherwise it's a new construction window (which can be used to replace an old window). The window manufacturer and model would help. How did you determine the correct size?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote