Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Share |

how do I frame a window opening to create a niche?

Hello all - I'm a newbie, and I wasn't sure if I should post this under "carpentry" or "construction" - apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.
My better half and I are long time, trial-and-error DIYers, but I have a project coming up that I'm not sure how we should go about getting done. I currently have a useless window in my dining room, which was installed in the dining room of my 1950s brick ranch for the sole purpose of holding a huge room air conditioner. We don't need it, and don't want it, so I came up with the idea of closing it in and creating a niche. (I don't want a replacement window there, for privacy reasons). The window opens onto an unfinished breezeway, but that breezeway is where our main entrance is...so what I'm thinking of doing is removing the old aluminum window, framing the opening, covering the indoor side with drywall, and covering the exterior side with waterproofed cement backerboard, with both interior and exterior sides being slightly inset to allow for decorative use, i.e., to hold a vase or something in the dining room, and maybe a wall fountain, or mosaic design of some sort on the outside, facing the breezeway. (Hope I'm explaining this well.) It doesn't seem like a difficult task, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it, as far as the framing, and the attaching of the drywall. Has anyone seen or done anything of this sort, and am I nuts to even consider it? I want to do this the right way, and have it be secure so nobody can just kick the wall in to break into the house, etc. Any suggestions on how to go about this would be most appreciated. If you think I should just hire a pro, that's fine - but I'd love some input from people who know what they are doing... Thanks in advance!
corrypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

Not a great look on the outside.
Doing it your way you would end up with an uninsulated outside wall.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
corrypaw (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
<<<<<<????????>>>>>
Always negative.
How about some input on how it could be achieved?
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
corrypaw (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
It can be done, and be insulated, although it won't have as much insulation as the rest of the wall. Spray in would be best, but the cost/benefit wouldn't be worth it for that small area. I think the small niche he's trying to achieve will look good if it's what i'm thinking.

The biggest questions here that will help a lot though...
1) this brick wall, what's the total thickness of it?
2) how much of an inset are you wanting on either side? if a lot, it might be more beneficial to just have it on one side just so you can have more insulation there. I'm thinking small here, 1/4"? On the inside you can build a shelf to stick out from the bottom to place a vase or even just hang a picture.
3) what are the dimensions of this opening?
Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Mod

Putting your general location in you profile would help in knowing what type of climate your in.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the quick replies, all - I've tried to post three times, and it keeps disappearing. Location is Long Island, NY (modest neighborhood, fixer-upper 1950s ranch) so weather isn't that much of an issue - especially because the window fronts the breezeway, which is somewhat protected from the elements. Thanks for mentioning the insulation aspect though - I hadn't actually factored that in yet. I tried to upload some jpgs, but they keep failing. I will try and explain the way the window is situated. And by the way, for the record, nothing could look worse than this window looks at the moment, so anything will be an improvement. The window as it faces onto the breezeway is inset 3 inches. I don't know the correct terminology, but there is a single course of bricks running front to back underneath, giving the appearance of a small decorative ledge or sill. The sides and top of the inset area are finished off with a thin wood trim. The outside dimensions appear to be approx. 36 wide by 53 high. On the dining room side, measuring inside the mouldings, the actual window area is approx. 31 wide by 48 high. Not sure why there is a difference in measurements, but I guess it's because of the trim on the inside of the window on the d.r. side. Hard to tell, because to be honest, we haven't touched this window in ten years, and I didn't get accurate measurements because there are things living in that window that scare the heck out of me. (This He's a She, in case you haven't figured it out yet, lol. I've kept this window covered on both sides with blinds, because we couldn't agree on what to do with it. But for the record, I'm the one who cares the most about things being level, plumb, and square.)
Dwillems, I would guess the total thickness of the brick wall is approx. 5-6 inches, give or take. 3 on the outside, and 2-3 for the window to the moulding on the inside. I had already figured that I'd build this so that there'd be more depth on the inside for a shelve (decorative use, etc.), and the outside could even be flush with the brick for all I care, as we are definitely going to hang something decorative out there, be it mosaic, fountain, wrought iron hanging, etc. I just didn't want that tacky "let's-brick-it up-but-the-mortar-won't-match-nor-will-the-bricks" situation I've seen other people try. It looks like someone tried to brick a body up in a wall or something, when people do that! Anyway, hope I explained things a bit better - sure wish I could post pics here, as you'd easily understand why I'm trying this niche concept...thanks so much for the help - hope you can suggest a way I can pull this off!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrypaw View Post
I tried to upload some jpgs, but they keep failing.
Try this. How to attach a photo to a post
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the link, but the problem seems to be that the photos are being rejected as too large. They are 1-2 mb, and the forum requires 100 kb or less. I have no idea how to change/convert/make them smaller...
Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Mod

Ok then, try this... How to resize photos to post them here.

We do like pictures, and paragraphs too.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #10

Try windows Paint to resize your pics. Save them as a new file so you don't destroy your original.

Would like to see a pic,
Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #11
Pro

I'd put the brick back and forget the nook.

On most brick houses around here it's not that hard. Take out the window, frame in the opening and sheath it, insulate it, drywall it.

Call in a mason to patch the brick back together. If it's sheathed, you can seal it up, and use some SA flashing if you're worried about it raining before your mason gets there.
smalpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #12

Resizing wasn't working for me, so I uploaded them to flikr, so hopefully you'll be able to open this link and take a look at the window:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corrypaw/

I appreciate the suggestion Smalpierre, but I've already ruled that option out. If we can't actually do this niche thing for some reason, we'll just put in a replacement window. But I'd REALLY like to do this niche.

To give you all an idea of what I'm after, here's another link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elaineh...0533/lightbox/

Exactly what I'd like to try, either with or without shelves...and maybe without the moulding around the outer edges.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. (Is that a paragraph, lol?)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
AHH, SPANS!!!

the lightbox picture is either in a thick wall or there is a void space behind that wall allowing the lightbox to recess into the void. Unfortunately your wall with the window in it is standard 2x4 wall so not much room to do anything depth wise and still have an exterior insulated wall to keep the elements out. You could frame in the wall with 2x4 studs and insulation then work with the 4" depth of the brick for your decorative shelving.With shelves in place you could even trim out around the edges of the brick with something nice so it is not so much of a brick type opening...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #14

Could you frame a new wall on the breezeway side. Insulated well to move your thermal envelope. That would give you the depth you need.

Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
JOATMON

I just did almost exactly what the OP is proposing....

Our existing bathroom 'had' a windwow.....with the new 2-story additon on the back, the window had to come out....

So I pulled the window....Picked up a mirror the same size...RTV'd it to a chunck of 1 1/8" plywood and put that back in to opening. Finished up the other side with another 1/2" sheet of plywood which brought it flush with the wall. In my case, that wall is going to be covered with hardiboard or drywall (as soon as I figure out which shower system to go with).

The inside still retains the 'window' look including the window sill which is almost 5" deep....makes a great place to store shampoo bottles, wife's face creams and lots of more junk....my wife is suggesting that we also install a couple of tempered glass shelves in there so she can store even more junk.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote