Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

How do I form a 2x8" beam with 3 sistered together planks

I am wishing to form a 16 foot beam out of 3 pc of 2x8 by 16 feet long. Each beam formed will be supported every 5 feet when cured and in place
my question is... what does the screwing or nailing patern look like and also is there a preferred layout of the construction adhesive to be applied??? ie some squiggle patern... up and down... straight lines..???

Last edited by 36millstreet; 04-08-2011 at 03:25 PM.
36millstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #2

Nail each side with a pair of 16d common nails every 16". Offset the starting pattern from side to side. Start one side 3" in and the other 19" in.
Apply adhesive in a "w" pattern so the spaces at the tops and bottoms are no more then 4" apart.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #3

thanks ron, i appreciate the help. recently i spoke with a man from home depot's contractor section and he suggested that if i was using screws that i should do each side in an x pattern. : - : - : ie 2 screws starting at an end... then 6" over - 1 screw in the middle, then 6" further another 2. and also noted to start with the center screw to pull the boards together squeezing the adhesive outward then following with the 2 on either end. i do think screwing these together will be far superior to nailing. Gonna be a lot of screws though! Probably ill do all the single center screws on one side (after applying the adhesive in the specified W pattern) and then follow with the out side groups of 2????
hmmmmm just thinking about that screwing business?? 18 foot beams... 5 screws per foot....on each side laminated to the center 2x8 = 180 screws per beam???? or maybe... just use screws in the center locations to pull them together firmly... then use the framing nailer to do the groups of 2 with 3.5" galv. nails????
36millstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
I have gas!

I wouldn't use screws because of the lack of sheer value... especially for a beam.
I usually line up one end, put one nail in, line up the other end, one nail, tweak the middle to make sure the boards line up, nail, and then go through and finish the nailing every 16". Flip and repeat. You'll need to shoot the nails on the first side at an angle so that you don't nail the beam to the floor.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #5

When I seek guidance from a clerk in the bigbox stores it's to know where something has been moved.
I have no use for their construction advice. I've heard some idiotic misinformation come out of their mouths explaining to another customer how to do something. More then once I've stepped in and corrected the advice.
They love that, they really do.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

If you use screws, make sure you use structurally rated screws, as opposed to for example drywall screws. Also, if you want to draw two pieces together with screws, you need to overdrill one piece, and use the correct diameter bit for the second piece. There are step drills specifically made for this operation, but you need the correct length bit.

For my money, I would use structurally rated nails, easily available, faster than screws, and will draw the planks together. For exterior applications, use galvanized nails.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote