Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

How do I fix this.....opening above electrical outlet>

I made a mistake and miscalculated where I shoud have cut the opening for an electrical outlet with my drywall.

And because I did not want to cut another piece of drywall......I have ended up with a square opening above my electrical outlet that is about 2 inches by 4 inches.

How can I fix that? I have cut a piece of drywall and have snuggly fit it in.
Could I just tape and mud over it?

I really don't want to add a backer piece of wood because it is a wall that has insulation and vapour barrier on it and it would mean another year of work .

If it was a wall that was open I would have added another piece of wood to the back and done it properly.

What can I get away with?

Thanks

P.S. Also, do I install the corner bead before I start doing the mudding or do I do the mudding first and then install the corner bead, and then finish the corner bead.

Or does it make no difference.

Thanks you great people

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
....I have ended up with a square opening above my electrical outlet that is about 2 inches by 4 inches....How can I fix that? I have cut a piece of drywall and have snuggly fit it in.
Could I just tape and mud over it?
Since you have fitted the piece snuggly, just apply your compound and paper tape it.
Apply a single strip of paper tape and wipe, then continue (one strip and wipe at a time). When it is completely taped, apply a wide coat of compound, thinly over the area. Allow to dry and sand. Apply at least two more wide coats over the repair, thinly. Sand between coats. Each coat should be wider than the last, and overlap the edges of the previous coat.

Quote:
P.S. Also, do I install the corner bead before I start doing the mudding or do I do the mudding first and then install the corner bead, and then finish the corner bead....Or does it make no difference.
Yes, always install before.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.

Also, I have purchased a 10 inch knife. Do I have to purchase a bigger one for this taping job for my whole basement that is? Or will the 10 inch be sufficient?

Something else Atlantic.......why do I have to sand inbetween coats of mudding, if what I have coated looks good? Is it the texture of the coated seams that I am trying to change?

Because, I don't understand why I have to put mud on to just sand it off again.

(As you can tell, by my questions, I have not started to do this yet,,,, )
Old 03-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Also, I have purchased a 10 inch knife. Do I have to purchase a bigger one for this taping job for my whole basement that is? Or will the 10 inch be sufficient?)
I think that the 10" will suffice. It should do the job for you.
(FWIW: We use 12" knives, but you should stick with the 10" - to get used to using a wide style knife).

Quote:
.....why do I have to sand inbetween coats of mudding, if what I have coated looks good?
If the coat looks good, then you don't have to sand prior to the next coat.

The only thing the pros do between coats is to quickly scrape down any ridges, lumps or pronounced lines using a 6" knife. They do not sand between coats.

I suggested this to you, (and I also suggest it to other newbis on here) because, your coats will not come out as smooth as the pros. Because you are starting out, you will have alot more ridges and lumbs.
Any such irregularities, will be magnified as you add additional coats. The result will be ALOT of heavy sanding on the finished coat, in order to get it smooth.

I advise newbis to lightly sand between their coats, because it will greatly help them, to apply the next coat smoothly (or as smoothly as their skill level can do)

Again, if you are able to get certain areas smooth, great...no need to lightly sand those.

Some light sanding between coats, (in the areas where needed), is much easier than......Alot of "back-breaking" heavy-sanding of "everything" later on....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-01-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #5

I think I would put 'some' backer behind that patch. Otherwise even a small bump there would knock your plug thru. can you use a thin piece of plywood, fiberglass board anything JUST slightly larger than hole?? Then use paneling glue after you wiggle it in there and have a real short nail thru the middle to hold on to with vise grips etc? Then snip nail off after glue drys. Should be room for something between your barrier and the wall,,,should stretch a LITTLE bit!! NO sharp edges tho,,,or round edges first!! If not a barrier I usually just push the nail inside the wall. even a screw works well and you can even pull it thru when done. best if backing plate is twice size of hole then you have things to work with!!Can always wittle it down to fit inside!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
I think I would put 'some' backer behind that patch. Otherwise even a small bump there would knock your plug thru. can you use a thin piece of plywood, fiberglass board anything JUST slightly larger than hole?? Then use paneling glue after you wiggle it in there and have a real short nail thru the middle to hold on to with vise grips etc? Then snip nail off after glue drys. Should be room for something between your barrier and the wall,,,should stretch a LITTLE bit!! NO sharp edges tho,,,or round edges first!! If not a barrier I usually just push the nail inside the wall. even a screw works well and you can even pull it thru when done. best if backing plate is twice size of hole then you have things to work with!!Can always wittle it down to fit inside!!
You are proposing a lot of extra work - unnecessarily.

With a small sized patch: If is in there "snug/tight", there is no need to install any backer material at all, behind it. Once the compound is placed into and over the area, and then paper-taped over, it seals it like glue and plaster. We have done these hundreds of times. It works.

Example (Hospital Wing Remodel):

Before:

After:

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-02-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #7

I think I will stick with my piece that is fit snuggly in and then tape it and seal the seams.

There will be a T.V. in front of the outlet, so it won't be in sight.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the pic Atlantic.

What is that yellow stuff?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the pic Atlantic.

What is that yellow stuff?
Self stick mesh tape.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Self stick mesh tape.
Thanks jerry.

I have seen mesh tape before but not that colour.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #11

It's fiberglass mesh tape. We had used an Easy sand (Quick Dry) mix for this project. (4 weeks of work, crammed into 1 week)
Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

And stir your drywall mud well before you start. And several light coats work better than one heavy coat. (Observations from an amatuer who's done it the hard way first)
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
Remodeler

I always cut the patch 2" bigger than the hole, then on the back measure and score the drywall the same size as the hole to be patched,leaving an inch all the way around, then carefully peel the drywall from the paper leaving the face paper in tack, this acts as the tape. Then apply mud to the edges of the piece including the back of the face paper and to the hole, fit it and knife it out. There done, now ya just need to second and third coats.
pushkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkins View Post
I always cut the patch 2" bigger than the hole, then on the back measure and score the drywall the same size as the hole to be patched,leaving an inch all the way around, then carefully peel the drywall from the paper leaving the face paper in tack, this acts as the tape. Then apply mud to the edges of the piece including the back of the face paper and to the hole, fit it and knife it out. There done, now ya just need to second and third coats.
That is the other way to do patches.

Discussed here too: hole in drywall?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #15

My little patch is snuggly fit in there, and I dare not take it out now.

I will tape it, and thanks for the advice on having thin coats instead of a heavy one.
From my extensive reading I have read that that is the way to go.

Thanks everyone.