Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How do I fix this.......

I would like to know how I can finish this block wall that comes down to the basement. I framed one side, which is a separate room, and would like any suggestions on how I can finish this off.

Could I drywall the stud and then put some sort of concrete over the blocks?

The other picture, I accidentally ripped the baseboard off while removing a sofa from the room and the baseboard took part of the bottom of the wall with it. It is some sort of cement coating (thin). What product do I use to repair that?

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #2

How do I fix this.......

First picture looks like an older plaster type wall. Use some concrete patch or mortar. Trowel smooth and paint.

For the second picture, I would add something like a 1x12 across the face of the brick and 2x4, then drywall and finish. (Attach the 1x12 to the brick with a couple of lag anchors. Add spacers or shim as needed to make square.) If a 1x12 isn't quite wide enough, you could accomplish the same thing with a couple of 2x4's. One attached to the existing 2x4 and the other as close to the edge of the wall with stairs as possible.

It's a little hard to judge from the picture if the 2x4 and blocks are essentially "flush" with each other. But you should still be able to use this approach with the proper thickness of wood and some shims.

CozumelDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #3

How do I fix this.......

Thanks for your help. The 2X4 is flush with the blocks.
What are lag anchors? Also, I did not want to stick anything into the blocks.

I was thinking to add cement mortar to make is smooth, as it now caves in where the blocks are, and then possibly gluing the piece of wood to the wall and then finishing it?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #4

How do I fix this.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
What are lag anchors? Also, I did not want to stick anything into the blocks.

I was thinking to add cement mortar to make is smooth, as it now caves in where the blocks are, and then possibly gluing the piece of wood to the wall and then finishing it?
Not sure I understand what you mean by "...caves in where the blocks are..." Do you mean the mortar comes off the blocks? Are the blocks themselves not solid? Do they not provide some sort of structural support for something above them? I don't understand your hesitation to stick anything into the blocks.

Lag anchors are the ideal way to attach wood to concrete or block. You can see a detailed example of their usage at:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/wood2concrete.htm

You could try to finish off the ends of the block with mortar, but I don't think anything would look as good as simply covering them up with some finished drywall.
CozumelDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #5

How do I fix this.......

I don't mean that the wall caves in, what I mean is the shape of the end of the block is not all flush.

I believe this wall is a supporting wall and I don't want to put any anchors in it at all. I was thinking maybe making it smooth to meet the 2X4 stud that is there and then glue the drywall in place?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

How do I fix this.......

YM,

Can't you just build your wall around that corner, like you did on the left side of the 2nd pic. Attach to the upper joist and floor?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #7

How do I fix this.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
YM,

Can't you just build your wall around that corner, like you did on the left side of the 2nd pic. Attach to the upper joist and floor?
I didn't know how to tie all of it in, as above it there is duct work which I have already framed and drywalled.

I just sort of left it, and said to myself, "I'll figure it out later"

So now, I'm trying to come up with something. I think I'm just going to smooth it out with concrete, and attach the drywall with construction adhesive, and hope it works. It is a wall coming down the stairs.